2015 NFL Playoffs

Reaser

Re: 2015 NFL Playoffs

Post by Reaser »

Rupert Patrick wrote:Arizona at Carolina - The weather should not be a factor, as the field should be clear
Remember, players were slipping all over that field last week and will likely be the same today. Though I'm one who believes it's the same for both teams plus I think that's just football so no excuses. As a factor though, imagine there will be times players from both teams have the grass go out from under them.

Also, I went back and looked at the two threads that have Super Bowl predictions and only three people are still alive to have the winner correct with one more that could at least have one of the participants correct. Everyone else mostly had Indianapolis and no one had Carolina or Arizona, and no one is alive for a perfect SB prediction.

7DnBrnc53 and Rupert Patrick both had: Denver over Green Bay
74_75_78_79_ had: New England over St. Louis

On the possibility of merely getting a participant correct (picking SB winner is the real goal, obviously) ...
Reaser had: Seattle over New England
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by Rupert Patrick » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:48 am
"... My system picks Denver by two, and I agree. Denver 26 - New England 24."

As of 1:30 PM, the line is 3.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Are we watching a replay of the first half of Panthers-Seahawks? If it gets 31-0 I bet the Panthers don't let down this time.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
mwald

Post by mwald »

Rupert Patrick wrote:Are we watching a replay of the first half of Panthers-Seahawks? If it gets 31-0 I bet the Panthers don't let down this time.
Closest team to the 85 Bears we've seen since the 85 Bears. :D
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Reaser wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:Arizona at Carolina - The weather should not be a factor, as the field should be clear
Remember, players were slipping all over that field last week and will likely be the same today. Though I'm one who believes it's the same for both teams plus I think that's just football so no excuses. As a factor though, imagine there will be times players from both teams have the grass go out from under them.

Also, I went back and looked at the two threads that have Super Bowl predictions and only three people are still alive to have the winner correct with one more that could at least have one of the participants correct. Everyone else mostly had Indianapolis and no one had Carolina or Arizona, and no one is alive for a perfect SB prediction.

7DnBrnc53 and Rupert Patrick both had: Denver over Green Bay
74_75_78_79_ had: New England over St. Louis

On the possibility of merely getting a participant correct (picking SB winner is the real goal, obviously) ...
Reaser had: Seattle over New England
Not discouraged. l'll get right up off the mat and already go on record to again predict Rams next year at least finishing 1st seed given the whole 'change of scenery' logic. Considering that Fish is a playoff berth - or two - every few years kind of guy, he's clearly overdue and he'll make up for the lost time with such a top-seed finish. Will they return to playoffs in '17 (and '18)? Likely not, but at least give LA something to be excited about from the get-go.
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

mwald wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:Are we watching a replay of the first half of Panthers-Seahawks? If it gets 31-0 I bet the Panthers don't let down this time.
Except they don't have that nauseating swagger about them. By Super Bowl XX I was tired of hearing about Da Bears, and was ready for them to go away. It was the Super Bowl Shuffle video that annoyed me about them the most, along with the fact that arguably the worst player on their defense was the one who got the lion's share of the press. I remember many people at the time who were trying to tell me that Perry was the best player on the Bears defense when he quite possibly the weakest link. And then in the Super Bowl Payton did not get to score a short TD because they had to give it to the Fridge.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
mwald wrote:
Except they don't have that nauseating swagger about them. By Super Bowl XX I was tired of hearing about Da Bears, and was ready for them to go away. It was the Super Bowl Shuffle video that annoyed me about them the most, along with the fact that arguably the worst player on their defense was the one who got the lion's share of the press. I remember many people at the time who were trying to tell me that Perry was the best player on the Bears defense when he quite possibly the weakest link. And then in the Super Bowl Payton did not get to score a short TD because they had to give it to the Fridge.
IMO more like, as with the thread I just started, a playoff-winning version of Buddy's Eagles. Their secondary worries me. The way their D gives up big leads even if they do pull it off in the end. '85 Bears not like that. Yes, secondary maybe their weaker point, but still a good one and it did take...DAN MARINO and only he that year to expose any such lack of greatness. Fridge? Yes overhyped (he should have NEVER been given the ball over #34) but was a stout run-defender as was still the case when he became an Eagle later on in the '90s.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

I'm really liking the #1 v. #1 matchups of the past few years. Moving away from the crapshoot feeling of a bunch of those seasons since the mid-2000's where one could argue the period produced more teams than any other span that would rank at or near the bottom of weakest 'champions', to date.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Reaser wrote:I'm really liking the #1 v. #1 matchups of the past few years. Moving away from the crapshoot feeling of a bunch of those seasons since the mid-2000's where one could argue the period produced more teams than any other span that would rank at or near the bottom of weakest 'champions', to date.
I'm hoping it's a competitive game and it's not 27-7 or 31-0 in the third quarter like the last two Panther games. If it is, and the Panthers put the Broncos away like the Seahawks did a couple years back, I think history will regard the 2015 Panthers as a team of the ages, surely one of half dozen strongest teams of the Super Bowl era. I just don't know how they would stack up against the 1992 Cowboys or 1989 49ers or 1978 Steelers in a position by position comparison. Michael Strahan made a comment in the postgame show that the Panthers reminds him a lot of the Golden State Warriors, a team whose destiny it was to win the Championship and nothing was going to stop them, and I am inclined to agree.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Whether I'm being too hard on Carolina's D for giving up big leads at times or not, I guess they are 'in the clear' being that I don't see a 39-year-old Peyton being able to properly expose any weakness their secondary has. Just the same, I see Denver bringing quite some D to Cam & Co as well. Do I possibly smell a SBV Redux? Defensive slugfest with an old legend playing QB.