Super Bowl I rebroadcast on NFL Network

NFL500

Re: Super Bowl I rebroadcast on NFL Network

Post by NFL500 »

I've seen the program you're taking about. It's very good. But I still want to see whatever videotape remains of the game action. Pro football broadcast footage from that era is so rare it's of vintage quality.
NFL500

Post by NFL500 »

I was saddened to learn that Jim Simpson passed away earlier this week at the age of 88. He was quite a versatile announcer, having called World Series games, the Olympics and other big sporting events. I put this post here because it's his play-by-play call for NBC Radio that's going to be heard when the NFL Network presents "Super Bowl I: The Lost Game" on Friday. Millions of viewers will be introduced or reintroduced to the warm voice of this legendary sportscaster. Rest in peace, Jim.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

NFL500 wrote:I was saddened to learn that Jim Simpson passed away earlier this week at the age of 88. He was quite a versatile announcer, having called World Series games, the Olympics and other big sporting events. I put this post here because it's his play-by-play call for NBC Radio that's going to be heard when the NFL Network presents "Super Bowl I: The Lost Game" on Friday. Millions of viewers will be introduced or reintroduced to the warm voice of this legendary sportscaster. Rest in peace, Jim.
I'm real sorry to hear about his passing. I remember Simpson worked the sidelines for NBC during Super Bowl III and also interviewed Bob Hope at halftime. I saw an old commercial recently while watching a 1979 Seahawks - Raiders game which featured Jim Simpson promoting Valvoline Motor Oil (that was probably around the time he left NBC for ESPN). If I remember correctly he also did play-by-play of CFL games for ESPN around 1980/81. His play-by-play of Idaho State's stunning upset of 2nd ranked UCLA in the 1977 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament (a Thursday night NBC regional telecast) remains a personal favorite.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Retro Rider wrote:
NFL500 wrote:I was saddened to learn that Jim Simpson passed away earlier this week at the age of 88. He was quite a versatile announcer, having called World Series games, the Olympics and other big sporting events. I put this post here because it's his play-by-play call for NBC Radio that's going to be heard when the NFL Network presents "Super Bowl I: The Lost Game" on Friday. Millions of viewers will be introduced or reintroduced to the warm voice of this legendary sportscaster. Rest in peace, Jim.
If I remember correctly he also did play-by-play of CFL games for ESPN around 1980/81.
Probably 1981, when baseball was on strike and ESPN was making a big push about showing CFL games with new arrival Vince Ferragamo. :lol:
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

An article about the legal mess of why the actual SB I broadcast can't be shown:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dispute-pr ... 18750.html
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

BD Sullivan wrote:An article about the legal mess of why the actual SB I broadcast can't be shown:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dispute-pr ... 18750.html
This is the sort of thing that comes up rather often with letters written by famous people.

The law is that the copyright belongs to the person who wrote the letter, no matter who owns the actual physical copy. So, if Bill Belichick writes me a letter, I can't publish it without his permission. (I can probably use limited quotes, however, under the fair use provisions of the copyright law.)

In the case of the tape, the copyright belongs to the NFL but the tape itself obviously belongs to this guy in Pennsylvania. He can't show it publicly without the NFL's permission but of course nobody else, including the NFL, can show it without having the physical copy.
MIKEBENNIDICT

Post by MIKEBENNIDICT »

I can hardly watch it.

Here's they're showing the game and the stupid commentators are talking over it.

Now they're discussing the top music acts of the day.

I'm not saying all what's they're doing is bad but do they honestly think people wanna watch the game with all this garbage?

I doubt it.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Thank God for the Mute Button.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

There are several sideline clips of Lombardi from the 1967 Ram-Packer regular season game in the Coliseum being passed off as Super Bowl I. Note Travis Williams #23 who wasn't with the Packers in 1966.
John Maxymuk

Post by John Maxymuk »

SixtiesFan wrote:There are several sideline clips of Lombardi from the 1967 Ram-Packer regular season game in the Coliseum being passed off as Super Bowl I. Note Travis Williams #23 who wasn't with the Packers in 1966.
I'm surprised that noted historian Elliot Harrison didn 't mention that :)