PFRA mentioned in Rolling Stone

Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

PFRA mentioned in Rolling Stone

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Kudos to Ken Crippen for getting quoted by Rolling Stone and for mentioning the Professional Football Researchers Association:

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/feat ... t-20151125

Honestly, I never knew them to handle sports (except for the Huey Lewis album of the same name) but I'm glad to see it's part of their beat.
mwald

Re: PFRA mentioned in Rolling Stone

Post by mwald »

In the last couple years Rolling Stone has tackled the occasional sports article, usually by writer Matt Tabbi.

I think it's part of their makeover, i.e., rock and roll is all but dead (and the magazine 'Classic Rock' has already carved out a great niche in rock nostalgia), so they're tackling modern country music (ugh) and pop culture in order to remain relevant.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

mwald wrote:In the last couple years Rolling Stone has tackled the occasional sports article, usually by writer Matt Tabbi.

I think it's part of their makeover, i.e., rock and roll is all but dead (and the magazine 'Classic Rock' has already carved out a great niche in rock nostalgia), so they're tackling modern country music (ugh) and pop culture in order to remain relevant.
I guess it's like when MTV got away from showing music videos (do they even show music videos anymore?) and they became a barometer of under-30 pop culture to remain on the cutting edge. Rolling Stone is going to have a tougher road because print magazines are quickly becoming extinct and there are a gazillion websites you can go to in order to get the kind of journalism that was their stock in trade.

Still, Rolling Stone is a cool place to be quoted. Congrats, Ken.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Very nice Ken! Congratulations!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

It is always nice to see the PFRA name out there.

I did another interview around the same time. It was for Southwest: The Magazine. It is the magazine that Southwest put on their flights. The topic was instant replay. I am not sure when it is scheduled to be published.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
Andrew McKillop

Post by Andrew McKillop »

The article busted one urban myth but perpetuated another. "There was very little media coverage of the APFA at the time"

For the most part there was good coverage of the teams by the local media. The only newspapers that dropped the ball were from Chicago. Even the Detroit Free Press had somewhat decent coverage.

None the less, I'm sure it was great to be mentioned in the Rolling Stone. Congrats!
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

This should come as no surprise.
Ken Crippen often had the PFRA in the news - both print and electronic.
Perhaps the media backed off while the ship was foundering.
Now, with a steady hand returning to the helm, repairs made, and a true course anticipated, the press will be favorable once again.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Then peace will guide the planets, and love will steer the stars.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Mark L. Ford wrote:Then peace will guide the planets, and love will steer the stars.
I remember that song! The Yawning of the Age of Vicarious!