Parity???

John Grasso

Parity???

Post by John Grasso »

How's this for parity in another pro sport - the NBA.

Philadelphia 76ers (1-25) has won only 1 game so far but they beat the LA Lakers
LA Lakers (4-21) just beat the Milwaukee Bucks.
Milwaukee Bucks (10-16) handed the Golden State Warriors (24-1) their only loss.

So Philadelphia beat the team that beat the team that beat the Warriors.
oldecapecod11

Re: Parity???

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Are you planning a Novena for the NFC East representative?
Or is it the AFC South?
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

I think that Commissioner Silver would probably say, "On any given Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...."

Back in 2004, the 2-11 Miami Dolphins defeated the 12-1 New England Patriots, who would win the Super Bowl a month later.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

It's been mentioned before (by me) that in 1981, the 5-11 Browns had two of their wins against the 49ers and Bengals--who just happened to meet in SB 16.
MarbleEye

Post by MarbleEye »

in 1968 the 1-12-1 Buffalo Bills defeated the 11-3 and soon to be Super Bowl Champions New York Jets 37-35 in a game that might qualify as the biggest AFL-NFL upset ever (considering how the seasons of the 2 teams turned out.)

Joe Namath threw 5 Int's and had 3 returned for touchdowns against him and the Jets in this loss. He also threw 4 TD passes for the Jets in this game. Booker Edgerson and Butch Byrd made pick-sixes for 45 and 53 yards respectively. The shocker was safety Tom Janik making a 100 yard pick-six return himself.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

The OP reminds me of the rationalization I once used when I was a Freshman in high school in 1982 to explain to a fellow student how a pathetic 1-4 Houston Oiler squad had a chance in an upcoming Monday Night clash against an elite 4-1 Dallas Cowboy team.
"Hey, the Oilers beat the Seahawks who beat the Steelers who beat the Cowboys", I reasoned.
For the record, Dallas won 37-7 in one of the most one sided MNF games ever played.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Todd Pence wrote:The OP reminds me of the rationalization I once used when I was a Freshman in high school in 1982 to explain to a fellow student how a pathetic 1-4 Houston Oiler squad had a chance in an upcoming Monday Night clash against an elite 4-1 Dallas Cowboy team.
"Hey, the Oilers beat the Seahawks who beat the Steelers who beat the Cowboys", I reasoned.
For the record, Dallas won 37-7 in one of the most one sided MNF games ever played.
Look at the bright side. 10 years earlier, the Oilers lost at home 34-0 to the Raiders, leading one fan to give the MNF camera the finger. :lol:
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Todd Pence wrote:The OP reminds me of the rationalization I once used when I was a Freshman in high school in 1982 to explain to a fellow student how a pathetic 1-4 Houston Oiler squad had a chance in an upcoming Monday Night clash against an elite 4-1 Dallas Cowboy team.
The win that Houston against the Seahawks before the strike was costly. If they lose, they go 0-9, end up with Elway, and maybe they are still in Houston today.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
The win that Houston against the Seahawks before the strike was costly. If they lose, they go 0-9, end up with Elway, and maybe they are still in Houston today.
They had Warren Moon for most of that time (1984-93), so it's not as if they were handicapped at the position. Plus, prior to Super Bowl 32, Elway's reputation (along with Jim Kelly) was being that generation's Fran Tarkenton.