Best non-Dallas NFC squad of the '70s?

BD Sullivan

Re: Best non-Dallas NFC squad of the '70s?

Post by BD Sullivan »

Bob Gill wrote:If Jurgensen hadn't torn his Achilles tendon, I think the 1972 Redskins would win this thread easily, and I'm not sure they wouldn't have been the best NFC team of the '70s, including the Cowboys.
The Skins lost 24-23 in Week 3 at New England in bizarre fashion; had they won that game, they (like Miami) would have been undefeated going into their Week 13 game--this one in Dallas.

The Pats took a 24-21 lead on a touchdown with four minutes left, but the Skins drove down and kicked a tying field just after the two minute warning. However, since NE got called for roughing the kicker, George Allen decided to take the points off the board but soon after, Knight shanked a 27-yard FG attempt. The Pats had to punt with 50 seconds left, but Washington blocked it and recovered it near the back of the end zone, but refs said they were out. Still, Washington got the free kick and drove to the NE 43, but Knight missed a 50-yarder at the end.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

BD Sullivan wrote:
Bob Gill wrote:If Jurgensen hadn't torn his Achilles tendon, I think the 1972 Redskins would win this thread easily, and I'm not sure they wouldn't have been the best NFC team of the '70s, including the Cowboys.
The Skins lost 24-23 in Week 3 at New England in bizarre fashion; had they won that game, they (like Miami) would have been undefeated going into their Week 13 game--this one in Dallas.

The Pats took a 24-21 lead on a touchdown with four minutes left, but the Skins drove down and kicked a tying field just after the two minute warning. However, since NE got called for roughing the kicker, George Allen decided to take the points off the board but soon after, Knight shanked a 27-yard FG attempt. The Pats had to punt with 50 seconds left, but Washington blocked it and recovered it near the back of the end zone, but refs said they were out. Still, Washington got the free kick and drove to the NE 43, but Knight missed a 50-yarder at the end.
I wasn't aware that Wash actually started 11-1 that year (losing their final two likely, presumably, because they knew they already were in). Maybe I saw the schedule before and forgot. This, likely, is an added reason as to why they were actually favored in SBVII. It's funny how Miami played-down to their competition all season (AFC playoffs included) but when up against what seemed to be their greatest challenge yet, they turn into the more-dominant version they became the following year.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
BD Sullivan wrote:

I wasn't aware that Wash actually started 11-1 that year (losing their final two likely, presumably, because they knew they already were in).
Yep, they had already clinched the NFC East before playing Dallas, and the Cowboys needed to win or tie both of its last two games (the finale against the Giants) just to get in as the WC. While the Skins made the final score respectable (34-24), they obviously coasted--trailing 28-3 at the half. The following week, they lost 24-17 to Buffalo in DC, giving up two fourth quarter TD's. Had they won that NE game, I have to think there's no way a guy like George Allen would have thought for a minute of taking his foot off the gas--especially if it would have knocked out Dallas. In the Bills' game, they were seemingly in position to get the win or at least a tie with less than two minutes left and the ball near midfield. But a Kilmer pass bounced off Herb Mul-Key and Buffalo took it down around the Skins five where Jim Braxton scored the game-winner with 43 secs left. Ironically, Buffalo's first score of the game came on a pick-six.