2023 FInalists, released 1PM EDT 12/27/22

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Hail Casares

Re: 2023 FInalists, released 1PM EDT 12/27/22

Post by Hail Casares »

Bryan wrote:
Yeah, its like you cover the same ground with some of these guys. I know Coryell gets resistance because he didn't play for a championship much less win one, but he really influenced the game, even going back to his college days. Sharpe was a HOF player. Maybe you don't like the fact that he got injured midway through his career, but you cannot dispute he played at a HOF level. Gradishar and Howley are the guys who, IMO, are what this whole "Seniors" thing is for. They are guys who, for whatever reason, got lost in the shuffle and deserved to be in Canton by the regular process. The regular process failed, so the Seniors thing is around to fix the problem.

As you said, most of these guys don't even warrant discussion. They didn't warrant any discussion when they played, the didn't warrant any discussion when they retired, but now we are being asked to completely re-examine careers. I'm sorry, but while Ken Riley was a good CB, at no point was he ever a HOF type player. Tommy Nobis in the HOF? That's almost like a romantic, revisionist view of history. He had a couple nice seasons at the start of his career, had some injuries, and kind of tailed off. Nice run stuffer, average against the pass. Nowhere near the level of Butkus or Nitschke or Lanier. I would say that some of the adulation he received early in his NFL career was carryover from his college days. At least someone like Lee Roy Jordan can point to some level of consistency and accomplishment. I don't want to turn this into a bashing contest, but there is a reason that most of these guys aren't already in the HOF.
The real factor for me is a fabricated Mark Schlereth article.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

racepug wrote:129 Modern-Era nominees: https://www.profootballhof.com/news/202 ... UoRXinh9ic
I may be in the minority around here, but I like bigger lists like this, even that the majority of the players won't enter the HOF or the HOVG, at least on my lifetime. Why? Because we can see which players eventually advance to the semifinal and final. Something I like of the Baseball Hall of Fame is that the players have the voting percentage since their first year eligible, the voters saw them play. I would love to see voting percentages in the PFHOF.

Back to the the first year eligibles, I say that Joe Thomas and Darrelle Revis are locks, and James Harrison may join them.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Teo wrote:
racepug wrote:129 Modern-Era nominees: https://www.profootballhof.com/news/202 ... UoRXinh9ic
I may be in the minority around here, but I like bigger lists like this, even that the majority of the players won't enter the HOF or the HOVG, at least on my lifetime. Why? Because we can see which players eventually advance to the semifinal and final. Something I like of the Baseball Hall of Fame is that the players have the voting percentage since their first year eligible, the voters saw them play. I would love to see voting percentages in the PFHOF.

Back to the the first year eligibles, I say that Joe Thomas and Darrelle Revis are locks, and James Harrison may join them.
I think there is a case for Jahri Evans as well.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Joe Thomas will get in first ballot but I dont believe Revis or Freeney will. Revis in 2024 and Freeney by 2026.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Brian wolf wrote:Joe Thomas will get in first ballot but I dont believe Revis or Freeney will. Revis in 2024 and Freeney by 2026.
Do you think Freeny over a guy like Jared Allen?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I predict Allen will get in for 2023. Definitely by 2024 ...
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

rewing84 wrote:
Zero26 wrote:2/3 pre 60s semi finalists made the finals not bad.

My favorites here were Otis Taylor and Jim Marshall but oh well at least they got a good look.
if you had to guess what is keeping out otis taylor is it 1. AFL Bias 2. KC had a run oriented offense under stram 3. was blocked by duper morgan sharpe
Been away for awhile just saw this. I think it's mainly 1 AFL bias but 2 couldn't have helped but if his numbers were better they'd still be hurt by the AFL thing. We can't know for sure though.

For 3 Sharpe would be a no braner if he played one more season. So he's a better candidate and if they were picking just 1 WR well that's your guy. I think Taylor is a better candidate than Clayton(not Duper think you got the marks mixed up) and Morgan. But you don't know how the voters saw those 3 relatively just that none of them made the finals list and Sharpe did. Can't really argue Sharpes the best of the 4. Seniors have elected 2 WR's recently so I do think being WRs probably hurt Taylor cause they were never picking 2 of 3 this year. Sharpe might have to wait another year because of that we'll see.