Thoughts on Dave Krieg for HOVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
sheajets

Thoughts on Dave Krieg for HOVG?

Post by sheajets »

Always liked him as a QB...certainly if move down a tick and have a "Hall of Good" I think he'd be in.

Not the biggest QB, sort of came out of nowhere (Milton College) but was a fun gunslinger type. Never led the league in TD's (but did in INT's twice)

98-77 career record as a starter. A 3x Pro Bowler. Led the NFL in completion percentage in 1991. 6 seasons of 3,000+ yards. This was back when it meant a lot more than it does now. Same with his 5 seasons of 20 or more TD passes (surpassed 30 once). Other than Largent never really had what you would consider a great receiving corps, and the o-lines he played behind seemed to be substandard. Ran for his life quite a bit and when he was hit the ball came out. But definitely a tenacious, battling type of QB.

Could he be a HOVG inductee?

Will always remember that amazing performance at KC in 1990. Sacked 9 times, 7 by Derrick Thomas. But he finds Skansi in the waning seconds for the win. Was mauled all game but still went 16/23 for 306, 2tds and 0 picks.
Reaser

Re: Thoughts on Dave Krieg for HOVG?

Post by Reaser »

I was a kid but locally caught the 2nd half of his Seahawks career and everyone was always on him here blaming him for everything. All you'd ever hear was small hands and fumbles all the time. One season everyone was complaining about how he always would slide when he took off running. Got a lot of blame. I liked him, not sure about HOVG (maybe way down the line) but I knew it wasn't going to get better for SEA when he went to KC. 9-year old me argued with a lot of adults about it and shocker, Krieg and the Chiefs went to the playoffs and the Seahawks proceeded to have their -still- worst season in franchise history.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I admire Krieg who was good but not enough for HOVG, its close but I felt with the talent around him and Knox as HC, the teams should have achieved more. He was hot or cold and tough but in fairness, played in a very tough, division.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Tough player. Held his own against the likes of Fouts, Elway, and Plunkett more than once. Led Seahawks to an upset of the Dan Marino-led Dolphins in the 1983 playoffs (even after throwing a late INT that seemed to seal the 'hawks' fate that day). I wanna say that he even won one of those made-for-TV athletic challenges (I forget what they were called) during his prime! Nickname on the Seahawks: "Mudbone." Not sure if he's a sure thing for the HOVG but I'd definitely rate him as an all-time N.F.L. "tough cookie."
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

racepug wrote:Tough player. Held his own against the likes of Fouts, Elway, and Plunkett more than once. Led Seahawks to an upset of the Dan Marino-led Dolphins in the 1983 playoffs (even after throwing a late INT that seemed to seal the 'hawks' fate that day). I wanna say that he even won one of those made-for-TV athletic challenges (I forget what they were called) during his prime! Nickname on the Seahawks: "Mudbone." Not sure if he's a sure thing for the HOVG but I'd definitely rate him as an all-time N.F.L. "tough cookie."

I believe that would be the National Football League Quarterback Challenge. Which I really enjoyed watching
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I never watched Kreig play, but I believe all the opinions above. There are not a lot of QBs in the HOVG, and there are some other guys who I feel are more deserving - Tommy Thompson, Joe Theismann, Babe Parilli, Phil Simms, Bert Jones - who have yet to earn election.

That being said, it will be interested to see Kreig's candidacy down the road.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

As a kid on the other side of the country I didn't see him much. Recently rewatched the '83 AFC championship though - that one was painful to watch. Small sample size, I know.
racepug

Post by racepug »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:As a kid on the other side of the country I didn't see him much. Recently rewatched the '83 AFC championship though - that one was painful to watch. Small sample size, I know.
Well, that was the deal with Dave Krieg. He could play with the best of 'em one week and the very next week be decidedly average (or worse). The Seahawks swept the regular season series with the Raiders in 1983 (largely because the Raiders turned the ball over a gazillion times in the two games). The Raiders were upset by the Jets in the "Super Bowl Tournament" the previous year. They weren't going to be denied a trip to the S.B. two years in a row. Certainly not by the "playing above their heads" Seahawks. :cry: