Make a HOVG Case for any of these Players

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
TanksAndSpartans

Make a HOVG Case for any of these Players

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I'm pretty weak on the '60s and that seems to be an era that generates a lot of candidates year after year, not that all of these players are from the '60s, but most of the ones I'm unfamiliar with are. These are 6 I didn't vote for (so no one knows my exact vote, ha ha):

Grady Alderman
Earl Faison (played 6 seasons, very low for his era)
Bert Jones (QB with what looks like very few good seasons to me, I do know who his father was and think its a great story, but nothing to do with HOVG)
Stanley Morgan (I never considered him an elite receiver while he was playing, felt like a lot of teams had a comparable player, some more than one)
Jeff Van Note
Abe Woodson (You all will have to tell me more about him. Is he here as a returner?)

Help me understand what I'm missing. I'm going to be a tough sell on some (Morgan, Jones for sure), but I'll keep an open mind. Thanks!
Last edited by TanksAndSpartans on Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian wolf

Re: Make a HOVG Case for any of these Players

Post by Brian wolf »

Abe Woodson was not only a talented returner in his day on kickoffs and punts but a top-flight cornerback as well.
Raymond Berry thought he was the best he ever faced and supposedly, Vince Lombardi didnt want Bart Starr throwing in his area, a top flight talent. Pro Football Journal is high on him and some writers believe he invented or first implemented the bump-and-run coverage technique, that he later taught to Pat Fischer with the Cardinals ... Once he went from SF to St Louis, his career ended quickly. The team was known for having racial problems like other teams.
TanksAndSpartans

Thanks Brian! Good write up. He was never on my radar, maybe he'll get my vote next year.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Morgan was always known as a big-play deep threat for the mostly running Patriots but also got a lot of single coverage due to the presence of Harold Jackson, who still retained speed and saavy, and later Irving Fryar, with TE Russ Francis operating over the middle. A talented offense but QB Grogan could be inconsistent, despite great athleticism.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I voted for Woodson in my Top 10.
TanksAndSpartans

Brian wolf wrote:Morgan was always known as a big-play deep threat for the mostly running Patriots but also got a lot of single coverage due to the presence of Harold Jackson, who still retained speed and saavy, and later Irving Fryar, with TE Russ Francis operating over the middle. A talented offense but QB Grogan could be inconsistent, despite great athleticism.
I was a Dolphins fan in those days. Duriel Harris, Nat Moore, Clayton Duper. I remember Wesley Walker with the Jets. Heck, the Giants had Earnest Gray. They can't all be HOVG, imo.
TanksAndSpartans

Brian wolf wrote:I voted for Woodson in my Top 10.
Sounds like a good vote. I struggled with my last 4 or so honestly - I was probably too hard on the '80s players, but I figure there's still time for them. Lot post-war linemen on the ballot, not easy for me :D
Last edited by TanksAndSpartans on Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I actually thought Moore and Walker were better than Morgan. Walker had too many bad to average QBs ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Like I stated before, I like Jones and Cecil Isbell as QBs but felt Isbell didnt play long enough and Jones had too many injuries to make the HOVG but both had a great three year run ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I could be wrong T&S, maybe JuggernautJ has the answer but Faison and Kenn are locks this year ?