Branch and Vermeil are the picks

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
IrishJimmy

Re: Branch and Vermeil are the picks

Post by IrishJimmy »

I think Vermeil is an excellent selection. His regular season record is not incredible but, he took three different teams to the post-season and two different teams to the Super Bowl. He also had success in two different eras and unlike many made a successful jump from college coach to pro football. Could also add a pioneer element as he was the first special teams coach on NFL.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I like Cowher, Johnson and Vermeil but felt they all could have waited behind Parker, Coryell and Shanahan. Reeves should have gotten in before Vermeil based on what Grant and Levy did. Its a debate considering Reeves came into Denver with a tough defense with talent but other than Elway and some smaller, quick receivers who could catch his bullets, he never upgraded the offensive talent, especially on the offensive line, though they were tough. Shanahan helped develop Elway as well and Steve Young and helped them get their only championships. Still with four conference championships, Reeves deserves attention too.
Holmgren, Seifert and Schottenheimer have to hope they can get in before the Coaches possibly merge with the contributor category in 2025, unless they keep things the same ?
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Love both Branch and Vermeil and am really happy to read this.

Dan Reeves -- he was an excellent player as well. Not a HOF caliber player, but good enough to tie for the NFL lead in TDs one year, throw a TD pass in one of the most iconic games in history, plus he had a lot of success as an assistant under Coach Landry. Would really love to see him get in as well.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

IrishJimmy wrote:I think Vermeil is an excellent selection. His regular season record is not incredible but, he took three different teams to the post-season and two different teams to the Super Bowl. He also had success in two different eras and unlike many made a successful jump from college coach to pro football. Could also add a pioneer element as he was the first special teams coach on NFL.
Vermeil was head coach in college at UCLA for two seasons. Okay, he won a Rose Bowl. But two years doesn't show a whole lot. I think it would be more appropriate to say a guy like Pete Carroll made the successful jump from college to the pros.. he won 2x national championships, 4x Rose Bowls, and 2x Orange Bowls.

I always thought Vermeil was a HOVG coach, not a HOF coach. But hmm, interesting that he is the finalist. I too would have preferred Buddy Parker, Marty Schottenheimer, and Mike Shanahan. Marty doesn't have the championship, but he has 200 career coaching wins, and he did lead three teams to the postseason (two to the conference title game). I think he's actually won the most games of any inactive NFL coach who is not in Canton. Shanahan had success with Denver, almost 200 career wins (170 I believe), and he also led the Redskins to the playoffs. For what he had in DC, he didn't do a bad coaching job there. Anyone who can win under Dan Snyder's regime is doing well.
Andy Piascik

Post by Andy Piascik »

Branch was a poor choice. There are 15 seniors more deserving, maybe more. With Branch this year and Pearson last year, it's clear they haven't closed the door on the ten Centennial finalists who didn't make it in January 2020. Too bad they're picking the wrong ones from among those ten, plus it seems like they've drawn a line at 1970.

Branch's selection also further exacerbates something John Turney has been talking about: the big disparity between WRs, QBs and RBs in the HOF compared to OL, DL, LBs and DBs. Even just looking at OL, there are a bunch more deserving than Branch but they continue to get bypassed. Troubling, too, that they've picked yet another guy who played most of his career in the 1970s.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Its almost like side deals were going on to try to get the top receivers from the 70s into the HOF but I would have figured Branch or Pearson went in with the Centennial Class and with Carmichael getting the nod over Harold Jackson, does that shut the door on Jackson in the future ?
Will teammate Stanley Morgan cancel him out or jump ahead ? At least a pre-60s player like Speedie got elected but youre right Andy, the election process may have to go back with two seniors per year before they allow any more players before 1970, much less super seniors like Nesser, Dilweg, Lewellen, Emerson, Wistert or Benton. Rick Gossellin would propose three seniors for the next ten years but thats doubtful. Many people already feel the Hall is getting too big. If defense or interior positions get the next two spots it will somewhat, quiet down the skill positions, though Roger Craig remains from the BRP ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Andy Piascik wrote:Branch was a poor choice. There are 15 seniors more deserving, maybe more. With Branch this year and Pearson last year, it's clear they haven't closed the door on the ten Centennial finalists who didn't make it in January 2020. Too bad they're picking the wrong ones from among those ten, plus it seems like they've drawn a line at 1970.

Branch's selection also further exacerbates something John Turney has been talking about: the big disparity between WRs, QBs and RBs in the HOF compared to OL, DL, LBs and DBs. Even just looking at OL, there are a bunch more deserving than Branch but they continue to get bypassed. Troubling, too, that they've picked yet another guy who played most of his career in the 1970s.
I agree with all of this. I get that the word "Fame" is in Hall of Fame, but it seems like some of these recent Senior selections have just been lazy. Stabler, Branch, Pearson...just enshrine everyone who played on Monday Night Football. Then put in Don Meredith as a Contributor.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Andy Piascik wrote:Branch was a poor choice. There are 15 seniors more deserving, maybe more. With Branch this year and Pearson last year, it's clear they haven't closed the door on the ten Centennial finalists who didn't make it in January 2020. Too bad they're picking the wrong ones from among those ten, plus it seems like they've drawn a line at 1970.

I disagree on branch being a poor choice
IrishJimmy

Post by IrishJimmy »

I disagree on Stabler - he was a great choice. I mean I guess we could make these arguments on many choices. I mean Griese hardly threw the ball in some of the Dolphins biggest wins. Do we take him out? Was Dan Fouts just a numbers guy? Kelly lost 4 Super Bowls. I think they were all deserving in their own way. Stabler was a clutch player and also had a winning record against his 70s QB peers that are in the Hall. Plus he won a title.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I agree IrishJimmy ...

Stabler started his career slow but took the job from a QB with more talent who has his own HOF case. Was the most accurate QB of his time other than Ken Anderson, who unlike the Snake, couldnt win enough big games but may enter the Hall soon himself ...

With winners and throwers both in the HOF, You could easily take out as many QBs as you could add. Moon, Fouts and Jurgensen could put 30 points on a team but also give that team plenty of time to win with 31. Its a very subjective process, where fans and voters know instantly who could play and especially throw but you have to account for elevating your teammates to win ballgames as well.
Maybe a Charlie Conerly never had enough stats or championships but I dare say that without him in New York, there is no legend of Vince Lombardi in Green Bay.