Dave Butz, HOVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Gary Najman

Dave Butz, HOVG?

Post by Gary Najman »

Although I'm a Cowboys fan, I liked very much Butz and I think he was one of the best defensive tackles of the 80s. He has few Pro Bowl/All-Pro selections (only in 1983), but was a key part on two Super Bowl winning teams and was a second team All-80s Decade Team. Hopefully he will be nominated next year.
Halas Hall

Re: Dave Butz, HOVG?

Post by Halas Hall »

Certainly a very worthy candidate who anchored the Washington defense and played a lot of good football for sixteen(!) seasons.
Halas Hall

Post by Halas Hall »

Thinking about this a little more, defensive tackle may just be a position where a lot of really worthy candidates simply do not have a lot of Pro Bowl nominations etc. Butz, Charlie Krueger, Jethro Pugh, et al.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Butz had an excellent career and could get push on the QB as well. Other high quality DTs without many PBs were Henry Thomas who played alot of shade/NT with 93 sacks, NT Tim Krumrie with over 1000 total tackles, Gary Johnson with over 83 sacks counting postseason, though he was All Pro as well. I thought he had three against the Bears in the 1984/85 NFC Championship game but Turney and company credited him with two sacks. John Dutton also started out like a gangbuster with the Colts but got less playing time and sacks once he went to the Cowboys ...