Randy Gradishar

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Brian wolf

Re: Randy Gradishar

Post by Brian wolf »

It seems obvious that the senior committee voters are trying to clear the logjam of seventies-era players with six out of 12 total inductions since the Centennial Class, playing most or many years during that decade. It should bode well for Gradishar next year but Riley and Anderson are competition as well, while Greenwood, and Kuechenberg are past finalists without momentum like Jackson or Parrish.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Brian wolf wrote:It seems obvious that the senior committee voters are trying to clear the logjam of seventies-era players...
Or maybe, like many (most?) of us the voters grew up during that era and are voting for the players they've considered "great" since they were youngsters.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

JuggernautJ wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:It seems obvious that the senior committee voters are trying to clear the logjam of seventies-era players...
Or maybe, like many (most?) of us the voters grew up during that era and are voting for the players they've considered "great" since they were youngsters.
I would tend to agree with the latter, in fact it sounds pretty spot in to me. Unless, Brian, did you mean they were trying to clear the '70s to move on to the '80s? That could be. I don't see much inclination to go back. If it wasn't there for the centennial class, well that was the time going back would have made the most sense.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I realize the Centennial Class had some different voters but the regular senior committee has picked up where the BRP left off, which may also bode well for Craig but those five super seniors that were finalists are still there as well and deserve their chance.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

With Howley off the board now, Gradishar might finally get voted in next year but there is still competition with Baughan, Nobis and possibly a newer linebacker like Matthews or Marshall added to the mix. Though I would have rather seen two linebackers elected over Riley and Klecko.

Marshall was a complete linebacker with great talent like Isiah Robertson but may not have always played up to his ability. It will be interesting to see if he is considered but a strong queue already.