Pete Retzlaff, Canton

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Eagles One

Pete Retzlaff, Canton

Post by Eagles One »

This post was initially to be about Bill Bergey and his HOF worthiness but the interest seems to be more on Pete Retzlaff so I changed the topic.
Last edited by Eagles One on Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian wolf

Re: Bill Bergey, Canton

Post by Brian wolf »

For his total career, possibly but Harold Jackson another former Eagle, is deserving for his total career as well. To me the most deserving Eagle is still Pete Retzlaff but he might not ever make it.
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Brian wolf wrote:For his total career, possibly but Harold Jackson another former Eagle, is deserving for his total career as well. To me the most deserving Eagle is still Pete Retzlaff but he might not ever make it.
I agree on Retzlaff. I had a conversation once with Ray Didinger who was a longtime voter for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and he said what hurts Retzlaff is he was not considered a tight end until late in his career. Unlike, John Mackey.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Pass catching receiver or tight end, he excelled on inside routes but maybe voters didnt think he had enough overall TDs ? I have always endorsed Timmy Brown as well, who caught the ball like a receiver ...
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Brian the most deserving eagle in my op is al wistert
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I hope Wistert can make it to, Robert. If not 2023, maybe 2024 ? But I feel Gradishar or Branch will get the next two spots ...
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

I concur brian i think gradishar is next in the pecking order
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

rewing84 wrote:I concur brian i think gradishar is next in the pecking order
Gradishar or Wistert have to be. The former is the only player in NFL history (who is eligible for the PFHOF) to make six All-Pro teams and not be enshrined in the PFHOF.

I agree above about Pete Retzlaff. The next Eagles player in HAS to be him.
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Thanks for all the input on "Bill Bergey."
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Eagles One wrote:I agree on Retzlaff. I had a conversation once with Ray Didinger who was a longtime voter for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and he said what hurts Retzlaff is he was not considered a tight end until late in his career...
I mentioned this in the Hirsch/Fears thread, they were all ends, but they had different roles, imo, ideally they would be judged with a kind of TE/WR distinction in mind, but there may not be an objective way to distinguish.