Billy Sims

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Shrevedude

Billy Sims

Post by Shrevedude »

Nice article here on Billy Sims from Talk of Fame...

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/b ... billy-sims

If I find out the reason they are writing this article is because he is one of the 12 finalists on the short list for the senior nomination of the Hall (and I am not sure, as good as Billy is, why he would be considered...he only had four phenomenal years)...I am going to feel even stupider than I felt yesterday when I went to a local convention that turned out to be a letdown...I turned down a chance to meet Billy yesterday at a signing.
rewing84

Re: Billy Sims

Post by rewing84 »

Of my top 350 seniors sims would be 307th
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Earl Campbell and Terrell Davis only had four great seasons ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

My fault, Earl had five ... forgot about 1983.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

HOF? I don't know. He was before my time, so I have only heard the name. I know he was very good in college, and a member of the College Football Hall of Fame.

3x1000 yard seasons is pretty good in five years.. and 5.5 yards per touch. Two all-pro selections and three Pro Bowls to go along with it is a positive too.

It's a tough call. Look who else in the seniors he is up against.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Sims had two great seasons, his first 2 in the NFL, and then he was just a gritty and pretty ordinary runner who hung on for 3 injury-shortened seasons. I don't see him as a HOFer. But it seems I'm usually wrong about these things.

I do remember him breaking in with a bang--3 TDs in his debut and a couple more the following week vs GB (I think), including an 87-yd reception.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Sims had an excellent season in 1983 as well. Big play running and receiving. Sky was the limit. Had they beaten the 49ers in the playoffs, would have lost to Washington.
Unlike Terrell Davis, didnt have the QB to take him to a championship.

Imagine if he played in the USFL in 83,84 or 85 ... maybe he stays healthy once returning to the NFL ?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Richard Bak, did you feel Sims was similiar in running style, lean to Leroy Kelly ?
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

There were a lot of good backs. What about Sims v. Wendell Tyler? I'd rather see OJ Anderson than Sims, same era, but better resume.

And I had a Sims jersey as a kid - I was pretty bummed when he got hurt - I remember thinking what is going on with all these career ending ACLs? (I think SI did a piece on it within a year or two that mentioned Sims). I don't think he's HOVG either. Fair or not, a title would probably change my mind, seeing a player have big games in playoffs/SB, even with short career kind of cements him in history more, some may disagree.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Brian wolf wrote:Richard Bak, did you feel Sims was similiar in running style, lean to Leroy Kelly ?
What I remember is Sims leaping and giving some guy a karate kick in the face once. Think it was against Houston. Don't know if Leroy ever gave somebody a faceful of cleats. :D