2022 Senior Finalist: Ken Riley vs. Chuck Howley...

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

Re: 2022 Senior Finalist: Ken Riley vs. Chuck Howley...

Post by JohnTurney »

rewing84 wrote:John if you had to guess which pos the committee will go what would it be
Honestly don't know----I don't know who the senior advisors are---

I know there is sentiment for Riley, Howley, and George Kunz but I would doubt that one---Klecko
might get a bump with Gary Myers now on the committee

could be any of the 16
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

What would your reaction be john if they went with klecko
Shrevedude

Post by Shrevedude »

Are James Lofton, Dan Fouts, and Tony Dungy the players on the senior selection committee this year? That is what the Hall voters page says, but it doesn't say they are on the Seniors committee.

I wonder if they may choose Coryell over Parker, if Fouts is there.

Brian, is there any rumors within voters you have heard of them possibly beginning to have interest in letting Hester move up the queue and finally doing a returner? That may be Billy "White Shoes" Johnson's only hope in the senior queue, in my opinion...the rise in the queue of Hester.
Last edited by Shrevedude on Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

rewing84 wrote:What would your reaction be john if they went with klecko
Klecko would be fine---he's qualified--IMO not the most, but certainly, he has
good credentials so if he got it, my reaction would be the committee did a good job
Last edited by JohnTurney on Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Shrevedude wrote:Are James Lofton, Dan Fouts, and Tony Dungy the players on the senior selection committee this year?
No, they are not

However, there will be a couple of Hall of Famers who are advisors to the senior committee--the senior committee is 8 or 9 voters that rotate, they chose 5 year year
I cannot even remember the total number, would have to look. New this year is Gary Myers

the advisors rotate---so it could be anyone who is a Hall of Famer, but several guys have done it more than once---seems like
they are more involved than others

don't know who it is this year

last year one was LeBeau
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

To be honest I wouldn't know. I just gauge from fans like myself ...

Hester will get buzz, no doubt but I dont think he will make the cut to 25 but with this media, you never know ?

Tasker would be the one I might go with but he gets close and then his momentum stops. Another great returner is due as well but who and when ? As a fan, I just want it to be someone who had more production as a starter but the voters may decide Hester is the one over a Walker, Metcalf, Sproles, etc ...
Shrevedude

Post by Shrevedude »

I agree...it will take some time before Hester becomes a semifinalist...if it happens...though I'd say there could very well be a better chance of it happening than with kick returners in the past...

If Guy can get in via the senior nomination, I don't see it fully out of the question Hester and Lechler may eventually move into and up the queue and into the Hall...

As for Tasker, I think he will be the special teams guy voters go with this year to be a finalist in his last year of eligibility. I don't think he has a chance of moving past the first cut though...I'd say, though, that him becoming a finalist this year would give us hope for his induction as the senior nominee or one of the senior nominees one day.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Total offense and all-purpose guys just dont get enough traction for the HOF, otherwise more players like Timmy Brown, or Abner Haynes, Buddy Young, would get voted in.
With the Hall its pretty simple, you either ran great or caught the ball and ran great, not a whole lot in between. Heaven forbid if you played great pass defense and was great on special teams like Abe Woodson, Lemar Parrish etc. A great gunner and returner need to enter but there are other players that are qualified. Hopefully, things will change in 2025, with adding two seniors per year ...
Shrevedude

Post by Shrevedude »

Well, I would HOPE they begin adding two seniors again in 2025...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

It really wouldnt surprise me if Joe Klecko is the pick.
A safe pick that represents the best of two worlds - a much needed interior defensive/nose tackle who also had outstanding seasons as a pass rushing DE ...
Not to sound trite but white sportswriters love blue collar players that played through injuries and showed consistent toughness, ala Dan Hampton or Howie Long, though Long was a great pass rusher who should have had more sacks but let passers slip away. Despite injuries and only two seasons with 10 plus sacks, though 20 in one season, would that be enough for election ?