John Fox, HOVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
74_75_78_79_

John Fox, HOVG?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

He's one of only four HCs (Parcells, Reeves, and Reid the other three) to lead a team to both an NFC title and an AFC title. No, absolutely not comparing the two otherwise, but he and Lombardi are the only two HCs to ever inherit a 1-win team and then lead them to a league title game in 'year 2'. And not to mention the fun-fact that each were just previously a coordinator for the Giants in a losing-effort to a Baltimore team for the title. And, no, also not comparing these two otherwise either, but Fox's first (and only) four years as Denver's HC from '11-thru-'14 makes he and Paul Brown - correct me if I'm wrong - the only two HCs to win a division title in each of their first four years with a team (well, conference title in Paul's case). In addition to leading Panthers to that very SB his second year there - and giving Belichick/Brady all they could possibly handle - Fox makes a return-trip to the NFCCG and then also earns a 1st-Rd bye before all said-and-done in Charlotte.

After coaching DBs at numerous colleges for over ten years after briefly being a Buccaneer practice-player under McKay, Fox gets his NFL coaching start under Chuck Noll in '89 coaching that very position thus helping to bring up the likes of Rod Woodson and Carnell Lake for three years. Under the obvious shadow of the Ravens' - and also Titans' - defenses in 2000, John now a DC for NYG ran quite a defense as well. This especially goes for their 41-0 thumping of offensive-power, Minnesota, for the NFC title.

Despite his primary rep as a defensive mind, a possible rep as a...'quarterback-whisperer' may very well be out of the cards but let's not say definitely out of the cards! Consider for a moment his work with Delhomme and also Tebow. And Peyton's best statistical season ever, 2013, was on John's watch.

Not a definite "must-be" inductee into the HOVG. There are still others to be considered first. But given all that's already been said, I can imagine some serious consideration at the very least. And if not ever making the HOVG, is it his time with Chicago that'll be held against him (FWIW, Fox apparently wanted Deshaun instead of Trubisky on Draft Day)? The blowout defeat to Legion of Boom in that Super Bowl?

EDIT - Big mistake! I initially said Fox and Paul Brown but completely forgot about Chuck Knox! His first five years with the Rams, '73-thru-'77, he won the division each time.
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian wolf

Re: John Fox, HOVG?

Post by Brian wolf »

Fox was an excellent coach who got scapegoated for the bad Broncos performance in the SB against Seattle but many players, including Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker and Julius Thomas played their best football on his watch ...
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Career regular season W-L of only 133-123 which is actually inflated by a three year stretch of 38-10 in Denver due to him having some guy named Peyton Manning ad his QB. I'm not seeing it.
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

I am inclined to agree with Chris. Fox had moments of real goodness. In 16 seasons, ten were .500 or below. During his four years with Denver, two were one and done in the postseason. His regular season record is average. The fact that he took teams from different conferences to Super Bowls puts him with rare company but does not really define his overall success.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Eagles One wrote:The fact that he took teams from different conferences to Super Bowls puts him with rare company but does not really define his overall success.
Nicely said.
I can see Fox having a chance a long way down the line but there are a lot of folks I'd vote for before him.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Among the HC-ing disappointments that may prevent John from reaching the HVOG, the one that sadly really sticks out is 2012! That Bronco squad, Peyton's first year with them, screamed best team in the league going into the playoffs! Charged in on an 11-game win-streak, and the Ravens seemed just an ordinary 'bleh' playoff team which did stumble on in! With Seahawks still a year away, the time was ripe for #18 & Co to punch-in a Lombardi three years earlier! They'd still have to then get by the Pats, and then SF, but it seemed so doable!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Before Manning his best QB was Jake Delhomme. He went to the playoffs with Tim Tebow. His Bears teams were bad but it didnt seem like anything could motivate Cutler. I can see both sides of the debate.