Mark Bavaro

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Halas Hall

Mark Bavaro

Post by Halas Hall »

I think Mark Bavaro is recently eligible for the Hall of the Very Good and am curious what people think of him. He was a tremendous player from 1985 until he was injured in 1989, then played several more years. Is his candidacy similar to Sterling Sharpe's (1988-1994)?

Thank you.
RichardBak

Re: Mark Bavaro

Post by RichardBak »

Old "Rambo"---guy was a beast either blocking or after catching the ball. I remember he played half a season with a broken jaw. Two SB rings, twice an All-Pro...I'd say he's HOVG worthy.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The Giants had their best seasons with Parcells/Simms, with Bavaro in the lineup ... Simms couldn't rely on hardly anyone else to consistently catch the ball. Some people dont believe me but I have games where he blew Reggie White and other quality defensive linemen right off the ball, with his blocking. HOVG and HOF worthy ...
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:The Giants had their best seasons with Parcells/Simms, with Bavaro in the lineup ... Simms couldn't rely on hardly anyone else to consistently catch the ball. Some people dont believe me but I have games where he blew Reggie White and other quality defensive linemen right off the ball, with his blocking. HOVG and HOF worthy ...
Reggie White? Really? Wow!
racepug

Post by racepug »

He was fantastic. One of my favorite N.F.L. highlights of all time is of Mark Bavaro dragging what seemed like 6 or 7 San Francisco 49ers - including Ronnie Lott! - down the field after a catch. I would definitely support him being added to the HoVG, if not the P.F.H.o.F.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Yes, Reggie White ... easily. Not that he had many bad games but White had some against the Giants and Cowboys, especially Dallas after 1991. Bavaro blocked everybody. When he went to the Browns, even Belichick tried to persude him to retire but he played well in his limited role with the Eagles. He along with Billy Sims, William Andrews, Otis Anderson, Sterling Sharpe, Mike Reid, George Sauer Jr, were on their way to the HOF, had it not been for injuries or early retirement (Reid, Sauer)
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:Yes, Reggie White ... easily. Not that he had many bad games but White had some against the Giants and Cowboys, especially Dallas after 1991. Bavaro blocked everybody. When he went to the Browns, even Belichick tried to persude him to retire but he played well in his limited role with the Eagles. He along with Billy Sims, William Andrews, Otis Anderson, Sterling Sharpe, Mike Reid, George Sauer Jr, were on their way to the HOF, had it not been for injuries or early retirement (Reid, Sauer)
I don't know much about Mike Reid but in Tom Danyluk's book "The Super '70s" Miami's H.o.F. G Larry Little is quoted as saying that "Mike Reid was probably the quickest" DL that he ever went up against. If I remember correctly I read that Mike Reid retired from pro football to focus on his talent as a musician.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Reid made the right choice choosing songwriting over football but he was great in his five year career, averaging nearly 10 sacks a year as a DT ... Many people believe Joe Namath should not be in the HOF but imagine how good Namath's stats and wins might have been had George Sauer Jr not retired after only six seasons ?
The guy had great hands and had a psychic connection with Namath on the field ...
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I agree about Sauer & Namath and their psychic connection (wasn't that an infomercial with Dionne Warwick?) But unless George was an internationally acclaimed knee surgeon as well as a top-flight receiver, I don't know how much he or anybody else could've assisted Joe Willie after a certain point. Joe's body just fell apart.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Detroit linebacker Paul Naumoffs's cheap shot on Namath in the 1971 preseason, helped alter Joe's career for good. Sauer could have helped the other Jet QBs but the team never responded to anyone else. Historically, I wish Weeb Ewbank could have gotten a proven veteran behind Namath but it wasnt like quality QBs grew on trees. Imagine if the Jets had gotten Morrall before the Dolphins but I dont think he would have joined the team. Caster, Barkum and Bell could play but Sauer would have helped all of their games, I believe ...