Joe Theismann HOVG

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
RyanChristiansen

Joe Theismann HOVG

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Joe Theismann (Toronto 1971-73, Washington 1974-85) threw for 31,299 passing yards and 200 touchdowns

1x Super Bowl Championship, 1x MVP, 2x Pro Bowl, 1x All-Pro, 1x Bert Bell Award, 1x Walter Payton Award, 1x AP Offensive Player of the Year

Only two eligible quarterbacks for the HOVG have more passing yards than Theismann: Jim Hart and Phil Simms. Hart has two more Pro Bowl appearances and Simms has one more Super Bowl championship, but neither quarterback achieved near as many accolades. If a quarterback is going to be considered for the HOVG, I think Theismann should be in the conversation.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
RichardBak

Re: Joe Theismann HOVG

Post by RichardBak »

I'd put Joe in for that broken leg shot alone. Brutal.
Joe-Theismann-broken-leg.jpg
Joe-Theismann-broken-leg.jpg (61.3 KiB) Viewed 8741 times
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

The San Francisco Chronicle ran that exact picture the day after the game (only it was black ink on the green newsprint of the "Sporting Green" section).
I cut the picture out and taped it to the door frame of my apartment's front door so that I would see it every time I went out to play to remind me to be careful. It must have stayed there for five years...

As always, it would depend on who else was on the ballot (as to whether I would vote for him) but he might make a viable HoVG candidate.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... eiJo00.htm
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Theismann would be fine by me. Also, Frank Ryan. Ryan wasn't so good in his last year as starting quarterback (1967) as he was battered with injuries. He was pretty good before that as he led the Browns to their first championship since the days of Otto Graham. Don't think that they would have won that 1964 title without Ryan.