Julian Edelman... HoF?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JuggernautJ

Julian Edelman... HoF?

Post by JuggernautJ »

Julian Edelman retired today, after 12 seasons with the Patriots.
Will he be considered for the Hall of Fame? Or will "we" be voting him into the Hall of (the) Very Good 26 years from now?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... elJu00.htm

https://www.nfl.com/news/is-former-patr ... l-of-famer
conace21

Re: Julian Edelman... HoF?

Post by conace21 »

I don't believe he is eligible. The HOF doesn't publicize it, but my understanding is that in order to make the list of Modern-Era nominees presented to the voters (who whittle it down to 25), a player must make at least one of the following: a Pro Bowl, an All-Conference Team, or an All Pro Team. I forget where I read that, and Jim Plunkett apparently made the list of 100 once, but a HOF voter tweeted this past summer that he tried to nominate Marques Colston, but was told by someone at the Hall that Colton wouldn't be eligible, due to the lack of postseason selections.

Can anyone verify this?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Both Edelman and Welker could one day make the HOVG.
HOF, I dont think so and Welker might have more of a case but Edelman's clutch ability and postseason success cannot be denied. A true champion and one of the toughest players I have ever seen. I remember when he played defensive back!
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

HOF, no.

HOVG -many years from now as it would be- yes. Would fit the type of player that should be remembered. Was a "football player" (as opposed to just a position) and had a lot of postseason success and moments.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

conace21 wrote:I don't believe he is eligible. The HOF doesn't publicize it, but my understanding is that in order to make the list of Modern-Era nominees presented to the voters (who whittle it down to 25), a player must make at least one of the following: a Pro Bowl, an All-Conference Team, or an All Pro Team. I forget where I read that, and Jim Plunkett apparently made the list of 100 once, but a HOF voter tweeted this past summer that he tried to nominate Marques Colston, but was told by someone at the Hall that Colton wouldn't be eligible, due to the lack of postseason selections.

Can anyone verify this?
I do not believe this is the case (at least officially).

"Any fan may nominate any player, coach or contributor who has been connected with pro football simply by writing to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The only restriction is that a player and coach must have been retired at least five years before he can be considered."
https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-o ... ocess-faq/

Also, in the OP I included a link to an NFL.Com article that was debating whether or not Edelman was hall worthy.
Unless the contributors to NFL.com are unaware of your stipulations it seems they considered him at least eligible.
Reaser wrote:HOF, no.

HOVG -many years from now as it would be- yes. Would fit the type of player that should be remembered. Was a "football player" (as opposed to just a position) and had a lot of postseason success and moments.
This is my feeling, also.
The only way I see Edelman making the HoF is if the electors consider him somehow either:
A) Representative of the Patriots' dynasty or
B) Historically significant (ala Namath) for his playoff contributions to said dynasty, especially with his incredible play in a pair of Super Bowls. But to me Edelman is no Namath...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

For me, Edelman and Devin Hester are in the same boat. They both scored 36-37 career TDs with Edelman adding another five in postseason. Hester was spectacular on special teams, mostly punt returns and Edelman had spectacular postseason receiving numbers with championships but that doesnt mean they were both HOF players.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

JuggernautJ wrote:
conace21 wrote:I don't believe he is eligible. The HOF doesn't publicize it, but my understanding is that in order to make the list of Modern-Era nominees presented to the voters (who whittle it down to 25), a player must make at least one of the following: a Pro Bowl, an All-Conference Team, or an All Pro Team. I forget where I read that, and Jim Plunkett apparently made the list of 100 once, but a HOF voter tweeted this past summer that he tried to nominate Marques Colston, but was told by someone at the Hall that Colton wouldn't be eligible, due to the lack of postseason selections.

Can anyone verify this?
I do not believe this is the case (at least officially).

"Any fan may nominate any player, coach or contributor who has been connected with pro football simply by writing to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The only restriction is that a player and coach must have been retired at least five years before he can be considered."
https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-o ... ocess-faq/

Also, in the OP I included a link to an NFL.Com article that was debating whether or not Edelman was hall worthy.
Unless the contributors to NFL.com are unaware of your stipulations it seems they considered him at least eligible.
Reaser wrote:HOF, no.

This is my feeling, also.
The only way I see Edelman making the HoF is if the electors consider him somehow either:
A) Representative of the Patriots' dynasty or
B) Historically significant (ala Namath) for his playoff contributions to said dynasty, especially with his incredible play in a pair of Super Bowls. But to me Edelman is no Namath...
The HOF doesn't publicize it. Any fan may nominate a player, but it's a question of whether that player will make it to the list of 100+ names on the Modern Era list presented to the voters to whittle down.

I recall years ago reading that a player had to make at least 1 PB/AC/AP Team to be eligible to be nominated. It may have been an article by Dr. Z. Last summer, a HOF voter (can't remember who) posted on Twitter that he tried to nominate Marques Colston, but was told by someone at the HOF that Colston wasn't eligible because he never made a PB/AC/AP Team. However, Jim Plunkett was a semifinalist in the last 25 years (before he moved in the Senior pool) so I'm not sure if the rules changed, or it's just a change in the staff of the HOF.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

You might be right conace21 ...

Plunkett is an exception because of his 4-0 championship game record with two SBs ... hard for any other player to get to at least semifinals without making pro bowl ...
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Brian wolf wrote:For me, Edelman and Devin Hester are in the same boat. They both scored 36-37 career TDs with Edelman adding another five in postseason. Hester was spectacular on special teams, mostly punt returns and Edelman had spectacular postseason receiving numbers with championships but that doesnt mean they were both HOF players.
Hester was known as a special teams player, not a wide receiver. Hester has more accolades than Edelman, which is why I think he's ahead when it comes to Canton. But I don't feel Edelman has a shot for the hall. There are a bunch of other receivers who aren't in that are more deserving - Reggie Wayne, Torry Holt, etc.
racepug

Post by racepug »