Randall Cunningham, HOVG

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Brian wolf

Re: Randall Cunningham, HOVG

Post by Brian wolf »

As for Cunningham, his last three seasons were disappointing. Dennis Green was notorious for replacing QBs and though I felt he should have let Randall play through his slump in 1999, Green wanted to see what Jeff George could do in rallying the Vikings. When Cunningham went to Dallas, I felt given a chance he could replace Aikman but either he was disinterested or felt like he couldnt take the starting job. Going to Baltimore, he had another good chance to audition for the starting job but ended up retiring, though the Ravens would go younger anyway.
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Brian wolf wrote:As for Cunningham, his last three seasons were disappointing. Dennis Green was notorious for replacing QBs and though I felt he should have let Randall play through his slump in 1999, Green wanted to see what Jeff George could do in rallying the Vikings. When Cunningham went to Dallas, I felt given a chance he could replace Aikman but either he was disinterested or felt like he couldnt take the starting job. Going to Baltimore, he had another good chance to audition for the starting job but ended up retiring, though the Ravens would go younger anyway.

In reality Cunningham was not the same quarterback after two major injuries he suffered in '91 and '93. However he was healthy enough to have that outstanding year in '98 and it also helped having two Hall of Fame receivers, a Pro-Bowl running back with Robert Smith. Also, having Randall McDaniel at guard and Jeff Christy a multiple Pro-Bowl center on your side to protect Cunningham. 1998 was a fluke year for him. He was completely finished after that.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I see both as HOVG. I think if they were going to be considered for the PFHOF, they would have been semifinalists or finalists by now. You have to figure it would be more difficult for them because guys like Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, etc. will be eligible in a few years.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

With their running ability, I think their cases are just as good as Rivers and Eli, though Manning's 4-0 championship game record and two SBs will help him out but he regressed so much and was only .500 in regular season play.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

^Well I'm not necessarily saying Rivers, Manning, et al are "locks" to get into the PFHOF. It's just when you have other QBs from the past like Cunningham, McNabb, it can hurt their chances because voters may give them more attention, some of it being they were more recently in the league. I have a feeling many a times voters "forget" about many greats from years gone by.

Manning and Rivers are two interesting cases. I believe there are other threads on this sub-forum discussing them.
Jamie Johnson

Post by Jamie Johnson »

Randall Cunningham was, and still is, my favorite player. He was fifteen years ahead of his time and certainly deserves to be in the HOVG. During his Philadelphia years, he played behind horrible offensive lines, had a non-existent running game and a receiving corp that was hampered by injuries (Mike Quick, Fred Barnett) and off field issues (Cris Carter). Nonetheless, Number 12 was the most exciting player in the NFL with his passing and scrambling abilities.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Cunningham was a superstar until he the knee injury. Absolutely on the path to the HOF if his career continued on the trajectory that it was on before that. Starship 12 they called him. The Ultimate Weapon. It's easy to say he was the prototype for hybrid quarterbacks but I can't remember anyone who was as dangerous running and throwing except Tarkenton, Staubach, Steve Young, Favre, Elway. They're all Hall of Famers. Cunningham won the Bert Bell Award 3 times. Who else has won the Bert Bell Award 3 times -- Unitas and Peyton Manning.

In the context of his time -- he was better than any of the hybrid quarterbacks in terms of comparing them with their peers. Somehow a ton of people have forgotten how amazing Cunningham was.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:In the context of his time -- he was better than any of the hybrid quarterbacks in terms of comparing them with their peers. Somehow a ton of people have forgotten how amazing Cunningham was.
My memory of Cunningham was that he would have several 'wow' moments during the regular season, then you would tune in to watch the much-hyped Eagles play in the postseason and Cunningham would be awful. I think if Cunningham had performed better or if his team had simply won more in the playoffs, then he'd be remembered differently...even with his MVPs, he's more like a footnote in NFL history as opposed to having his own chapter. Cunningham even had a chance at redemption with the 98 Vikes, but he was sorely outplayed by Chris Chandler. The highest-scoring offense in history with Cunningham at the helm produced 7 points in their last 9 possessions against the Falcons.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I always thought Cunningham was a helluva QB and HOF-bound except for injuries and that missed opportunity with the '98 Vikes. (Being a Detroit guy, I naturally rooted for Atlanta that day.)

That said, I didn't follow him that closely (different conference). So I looked him up on PFR to refresh my memory. Guy's got some of the strangest stats. While he rarely led in any passing categories, as a runner he twice led the league in avg. gain per carry (and damn near topped 1,000 yds. in 1990) and twice had the league's longest punt! One went 80 yds. and the other 91 yds. I assume those were quick kicks, right? Certainly he wasn't the second coming of Sammy Baugh.

Anyway, the bold type that real jumps out at me is Cunningham led the NFL in times sacked and yardage lost 5 times in 7 years. Somebody help me here. If he was so mobile, why such atrocious numbers? Bad O-line or is it just the statisticians recording a QB carrying the ball for a loss as a sack?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Like Russell Wilson, Cunningham was an exciting runner but got sacked alot as well. The Eagles line was bad in my opinion because they couldnt generate a running attack as well. Randall did it all for this offense with Byars being more of a receiver. You have to wonder how good the Eagles would have been if Mike Quick had stayed healthy and Keith Jackson had stayed with the team ?