Boomer?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Jeremy Crowhurst

Re: Boomer?

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

conace21 wrote: I recall that Cincinnati wanted to keep Boomer in 1998, but they lowballed him, and he accepted the MNF gig instead.
I remember his quote - it was something like, “Why would I take that offer when I can go to TV and make a million dollars a year?”

Then the TV guys were laughing at him for thinking he could make that much. Then he went to MNF for exactly that amount.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:If you look at his yearly rank in a stat like ANY/A, he had a five year stretch (85-89) that was 2nd-2nd-14th-1st-4th, which is really good. John Elway never had a five-year stretch anywhere close to that good. Moon had a string of 2-5-3-10-6, Jim Kelly was 11-6-2-3-7-11 over a six year span.
The more I look at Boomer's career, the more fascinating it gets. As you said, not many QBs had a five-year stretch like Esiason's 85-89 run. His Rate+ for this years were 125/118/99/129/122. Anything around 120 is exceptional, and Esiason had 4 of those years. Bernie Kosar had a nice run with the Browns, but he only had 1 year (1987) with a 120 Rate+. Jim Everett had a couple big years with the Rams, but not a 5-year stretch. Randall Cunningham seemed to fit the short peak/long career mold, but Cunningham's passing stats weren't really comparable to Esiason's.

The weird part to me is that if a QB has proven to be exceptional for 5 years, then you'd assume that would mean he's just really good and will have staying power. Esiason was mediocre from 1989-1997. Why? Guys like Bert Jones and (gasp) Daunte Culpepper had dominant runs but were then derailed by injury. I don't remember anything catastrophic happening to Boomer. Its hard to find another QB who had a career like Esiason's. The closest I could come up with were Ken Stabler, mid-70's greatness progressing to downright terribleness in the 80's, and Steve Bartkowski who had a surprisingly good run from 1980-1984 (Bartkowski started 5 games in 1985, had a Rate+ of 124, and lost all 5 games).

I really don't know why Esiason didn't remain a great QB. Perhaps Stabler is the best comparison...perhaps Esiason just wasn't all that into football and after awhile he became just another guy at QB.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Esiason. Always respected his game. A true-blue QB I thought he was. And not just his first stint (especially '88) in Cincy. He had his moments in the '90s with the Jets and as a Card (not sure what year it was, either '96 or '97) he had that sick 4-game stretch. Of course another Bengal QB, Ken Anderson, needs to get into the Hall - first things first! But once that's out the way, is there a chance that Boomer can make HOVG?

Anderson has the stronger HOF case, but neither took maximum advantage of the postseason. Anderson stunk in the first half of SB 16, part of the reason Cincinnati fell behind 20-0. The next season, a favored Bengals team was blown out by the Jets, much of Anderson's stats happened after the game was already decided.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

L.C. Greenwood wrote:Anderson stunk in the first half of SB 16, part of the reason Cincinnati fell behind 20-0.
I don't know if he stunk...he was 8/15 for 83 yards and the icky 1 INT, but Anderson's passing was the only thing going for the Bengals. Collinsworth fumbled near the Niners end zone, David Verser fumbled seemingly every kickoff. I thought the big play of the game was Stuckey's sack of Anderson at the start of the game on a 2nd and goal from the 5. It kind of forced the Bengals into a passing situation on 3rd and goal, which Dwight Hicks intercepted. If the Bengals go up 7-0 early in the game, perhaps things turn out differently.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Esiason had lots of arm talent but just didnt win enough to be in the HOF or HOVG in my opinion. The Bengals finally went to a SB in 1988, after building a powerful but underachieving offense in 85-86, however in fairness to Boomer, his arm was bad at the end of the season, which is why they ran the ball so much in the playoffs. But considering he only went to the postseason in 88 and 90, you have to wonder why so many mediocre years, regardless of team ?
He put it together his final season with the Bengals but finding another Ickey Woods-style runner in rookie Corey Dillon, helped his cause immensely. Does he truly get more of a pass based on talent over an immobile Bernie Kosar who led his team to three AFC Championship games ?
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

JohnTurney wrote:HOVG yes. HOF? I don't see it. Brodie and Gabriel both have MVPs...and to me, more of HOVG guys, too
Yep, HOVG candidate. I don't see him as a HOFer.
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Yep, HOVG worthy. IMO, same group as Randall Cunningham, Drew Bledsoe and Donovan McNabb.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Passer or not, Boomer's starting record of 83-95 counting postseason doesnt compare to McNabb's record of 107-69-1 or Cunningham's record of 85-58-1. Those guys could run also and have better cases for the HOVG/HOF. Like Ken Anderson in 1981, Boomer's 1988 season was the only time he won in postseason and it took a bad game from Jim Kelly in Cincinnatti for him to reach the Super Bowl.
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Brian wolf wrote:Passer or not, Boomer's starting record of 83-95 counting postseason doesnt compare to McNabb's record of 107-69-1 or Cunningham's record of 85-58-1. Those guys could run also and have better cases for the HOVG/HOF. Like Ken Anderson in 1981, Boomer's 1988 season was the only time he won in postseason and it took a bad game from Jim Kelly in Cincinnatti for him to reach the Super Bowl.
Actually Brian, Boomer won a wildcard game against Houston in 1990, so 1988 was not the only time he won in the postseason. If I am correct, those were the only times in his career Boomer played in the postseason. I can't fault him for being on brutal teams. Cunningham was 1-3 in the postseason as an Eagle so he did not exactly set the world on fire in the postseason. McNabb played on far better teams then Boomer with a far better coach, had much more postseason chances than Boomer and was 1-4 in conference championship games. Excluding wins/losses which are factored also by defense and coaching decisions, stat-wise Boomer is in the ballpark with McNabb and Cunningham.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Haha ... it seemed like every team beat the Moon-led Oilers in the postseason.

I can remember when the Bengals beat the Cowboys like 50-24 in 1985, I was livid being a Cowboy fan but impressed with the Bengals but then lost their last two games, albeit against good teams to finish 7-9. They looked awesome offensively in 86 but missed the playoffs despite ten wins. The wheels came off in 1987, then with a chance to make the playoffs again in 1989, they lost a tough monday night game to the Vikings. My point is, I just didnt feel Esiason was a big game QB, because he had the weapons on offense to get it done, while the defense, though not the best, hung together as a unit. If only Billups had intercepted that Montana pass in the SB, his career may have been different.

Then there is Bernie Kosar, who I felt was more of a big game QB but couldnt beat Elway and wasnt a starter anymore after his ninth season. He did help the Cowboys maintain a lead that sent them to a second consecutive championship but his skills went quickly for a QB. I felt he was a winner despite a losing record.