Steve Tasker, Devin Hester

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JuggernautJ

Re: Steve Tasker, Devin Hester

Post by JuggernautJ »

Rupert Patrick wrote: I believe Hester is the best KR/PR in pro football history, and being the best at any position should be enough to make a HOF argument on a player's behalf. I do think he will get inducted although it might take a few years.
I had a cynical reply earlier but I meant no disrespect (to Rupert or Devin).
This is a perfectly valid viewpoint. It has been decided that the very best (?) Punter and Kickers are worthy of induction so it may be that the best kick returner is, too.

If Devin Hester is the Jim Brown of returners then by all means enshrine him.
But I'm not sure he's that much better than all the rest, especially when considering eras.
It may be that the best kick returner (Gale Sayers?) is already in Canton.

But Hester was damn good...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Had to revisit this post, with Hester possibly being on the 25 man HOF semifinalist list for 2022.

Like the other posters, pointed out, he was basically a failed/pedestrian receiver and defensive back who was electric on punt and kickoff returns. Does that put him in the HOF ?
Would his election open the door for more special teams returners like Mitchell, Metcalf, Mason, Johnson, Upchurch and others ? Hester is just slightly ahead of Dante Hall in all purpose yardage. His career numbers are very similiar to Billy Johnson and Rick Upchurch.

Yes, he has the most special teams TDs of all time with 21, I believe but only 38 overrall, including postseason.
Does that give him a HOF pass over starters, who excelled on special teams like Abe Woodson, Timmy Brown, Darren Sproles, Herschel Walker, Derrick Mason, Lemar Parrish, Steve Smith and others ?

Then there is Tasker. He was a wide receiver as well but Marv Levy the Buffalo coach kept him as a gunner on special teams, not utilizing as a receiver till late in his career.
QB Jim Kelly believed Tasker could have been a pro bowl receiver. Shouldnt he get elected as the first gunner before or after a great returner ?

Though a media darling and electric returner, especially on punts, I dont believe Hester should be in the HOF but if he does get elected, whether sooner or later, hopefully it can open the door for others, though its probably unlikely.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Billy "White Shoes" Johnson would be my first pick....he's on TWO All-Decade teams.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael