Monte Kiffin, HOVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
74_75_78_79_

Monte Kiffin, HOVG?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Any chance that any of you will try to induct him?

Up through the smoke and fire of the debate of who was "more responsible" between Dungy or Gruden for Tampa Bay's Lombardi in '02, it seems like Kiff rises above them both! Does it warrant Monte a HOVG vote if not, maybe, even BETTER (Canton)?

Thoughts?
JohnTurney

Re: Monte Kiffin, HOVG?

Post by JohnTurney »

Are there any assistants in HOVG?

There is the PFWA Dr. Z Award--Kiffin has that.
Imagine he'll eventually get the HOF Award of Excellence

Too bad so many assistants are vital to the game and
a big part of history---

but at least the couple of awards is something...
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Although there are a few coaches in the HoVG and most were assistant coaches at one point, I do not think there is anyone in our hall who is there because of their time as an assistant.
Arguably, Dick LeBeau is in Canton's Hall because of his contributions as an Assistant.

Kiffen: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... iffMo0.htm

If I were to choose an assistant to go into our hall it might be Bobb McKittrick or Dick Hoak.
But I realize those are probably "homer" choice because I happen to know a little more about them, being a Steelers/49ers fan.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JuggernautJ wrote:Although there are a few coaches in the HoVG and most were assistant coaches at one point, I do not think there is anyone in our hall who is there because of their time as an assistant.
Arguably, Dick LeBeau is in Canton's Hall because of his contributions as an Assistant.

Kiffen: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... iffMo0.htm

If I were to choose an assistant to go into our hall it might be Bobb McKittrick or Dick Hoak.
But I realize those are probably "homer" choice because I happen to know a little more about them, being a Steelers/49ers fan.
there are a lot I like--Bud Carson, Jim Hanifan, the ones you name, Floyd Peters, Joe Bugel, Frtiz Shurmur, and so many more
and all of them were head coaches but not successful . . . anyway, could name a couple dozen worthy
of some kind of recognition
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Any chance that any of you will try to induct him?
Any member of the PFRA can nominate someone for the Hall of Very Good.
Feel free! (Up to 5)