Freeman McNeil - HOVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
sheajets

Re: Freeman McNeil - HOVG?

Post by sheajets »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:
sheajets wrote:Riggs had a spectacular 4 year window there between 1984 and 1987. The first three years of that speak for themselves, and the 1987 season would've been an easy 1,000+ (would've prob topped 1k in 89 as well) but I just feel like he's a bit lacking in terms of how long he was able to play his best football (also wasn't much of a receiver out of the backfield)
What do think about Warner? He really impressed me as a rookie. Not sure he was the same after the injury, but put up a few more good seasons statistically.
I really liked Warner and I think he could've been something really special had it not been for the ACL. I'll stop short of saying Hall of Fame, that's too much...but maybe a guy that finishes with about 10-11,000 yards on the ground. He was really good. That kind of injury in 1984 could really destroy a career, but he still came back and put up 4 legit quality seasons. I would give him some strong HOVG consideration
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I have written before about Riggs having a great HOVG case and James Wilder had a great two year period as well before getting worn down with injuries and over use. Derrick Henry today reminds me of James Wilder and for a huge back, he was a good receiver during the 80s ...

Hopefully Walker will get due recognition as well. He and Brooks might have been the most versatile backs during the 80s, early 90s ...
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Warner also had such a fun running style to watch. Quick, elusive little moves and cuts. The ability to start, stop, and burst through openings, and to anticipate defenders and where they could be closing in around him. He was great with subtle little moves and doing to right thing in order to squeeze as many yards as he possibly could out of every run. A high football IQ runner. He wouldn't dance himself into trouble and turn a half yard loss into a 4-5 yard loss
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I can get behind McNeil for the HOVG. He had some pretty good years, was first-team all-conference three times, three Pro Bowls, one first-team all-pro. Franchise's all-time leading rusher at the time of his retirement. I believe Curtis Martin is the only Jet who has more rushing yards.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

sheajets wrote:Warner also had such a fun running style to watch. Quick, elusive little moves and cuts. The ability to start, stop, and burst through openings, and to anticipate defenders and where they could be closing in around him. He was great with subtle little moves and doing to right thing in order to squeeze as many yards as he possibly could out of every run. A high football IQ runner. He wouldn't dance himself into trouble and turn a half yard loss into a 4-5 yard loss
@sheajets, nice description of his style. I observed the same. Definitely fun to watch. I don't think I appreciated him as a kid, but I rewatched the '83 Dolphins/Seahawks playoff game recently and Warner impressed me enough that I dug into other video that was available. I used my nominations for this year, but I'm going to add him as a possibility for next year. I really like James Brooks for HOVG too, but would probably vote for any of the '80s backs discussed in this thread if they got past the committee.sheajets