The Real All Americans

TanksAndSpartans

The Real All Americans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

The Real All Americans: The Team That Changed a Game, a People, a Nation Hardcover – May 8, 2007
by Sally Jenkins (Author)

This book really exceeded my expectations. I kept knocking it down my queue (i.e. finding other stuff to read first for a few years) for a few reasons - not really a pro football book, I felt like I'd already read enough about Thorpe (including a long bio I felt was subpar), etc. But, enough people I know recommended it, that I finally took the plunge. Finished it a couple days ago. It was really good - I think its a disservice to the book that the cover implies its just about the Army game. It's a lot more than that - as a history of the Carlisle school, it winds up covering a good bit of U.S. history as well and does so in a fair and unbiased way. For example, going in I assumed Pratt would be bashed, but I felt like the author just presented the facts and let the reader decide. The bibliography includes plenty of interviews and some documents I don't think it's that easy to get your hands on i.e. I felt it was very well researched. As far as pro football - Thorpe, Calac, Guyon, Bemus Pierce are all mentioned. Highly Reccomend!