Books about team relocations, Tex Schramm and Pete Rozelle

Books about team relocations, Tex Schramm and Pete Rozelle

Postby Jamie Johnson » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:05 am

I have always enjoyed books about the business side of sports, influential coaches, executives and owners. So, I was wondering if there are any books about the following:

The Colts move to Indianapolis. A book that gives the details of Robert Irsay's flirtations with Jacksonville, Phoenix and other cities, those cities offers to lure the Colts and Baltimore's negotiations with Irsay. Generally, a detailed look at the circumstances that led to the Colts departure from Baltimore. I read a book that was published in 1997 or 1998 about the Browns move to Baltimore and am looking for something similar regarding the Colts.

Tex Schramm. There was a biography in the 1980's before Jerry Jones arrived, but is there something more recent about Schramm?

I have looked on Amazon and could find only one book on Pete Rozelle, which received poor reviews. Is there anything else on Rozelle?
Jamie Johnson

Re: Books about team relocations, Tex Schramm and Pete Rozel

Postby Reaser » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:57 am

Jamie Johnson wrote:I have looked on Amazon and could find only one book on Pete Rozelle, which received poor reviews. Is there anything else on Rozelle?

"Rozelle, A biography" by Jerry Izenberg is probably the one you're looking for. Assuming "Commissioner: The Legacy of Pete Rozelle" is the poor review you saw.
Reaser

Postby Andy Piascik » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:37 pm

Long-time Baltimore sportswriter John Steadman wrote at some length about the Colts' move out of Baltimore in "From Colts to Ravens" (1997). A Dallas sportswriter named Bob St. John wrote a book about Schramm in 2006, "Never Just a Game." The book you mention about the Browns' move to Baltimore is probably "Glory for Sale" by Jon Morgan. If that's not the one you mean, I highly recommend it. As I recall, Morgan also deals a little with the Colts' move.
Andy Piascik

Postby Halas Hall » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:59 pm

For Pete Rozelle there is Jeff Davis's 2008 biography: Rozelle Czar of the NFL.

I have a 1988 book by Bob St. John: Tex! The Man Who Built The Dallas Cowboys.

Hope this helps you out.
Halas Hall

Postby GameBeforeTheMoney » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:41 pm

Ten Gallon War by John Eisenberg is good -- covers the AFL Texans and NFL Cowboys sharing Dallas and the Texans ultimately moving to KC....
GameBeforeTheMoney

Return to Football Books