Notable Bronco-Seahawk games!

74_75_78_79_

Notable Bronco-Seahawk games!

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

A very textured portfolio here! All those games between them when they were division-rivals '77-thru-'01! For very simple-starters in this case, Seattle's first-ever playoff game/ELWAY'S first-ever playoff game, 12/24/83. So many others to think of in that very time-window given! I wish Seattle would have stayed in the AFC West for they quickly forged rivalries with each and every of the other four!

But 2002 came, that's the way it is, but in addition to then forging new divisional rivalries - and also being, simply, even BETTER overall than they were all that time leading up!

Of course there is tonight's game (obviously significant), and a certain one in North Jersey - early February back in 2014.

Which ones pop-up most with you all??
racepug

Re: Notable Bronco-Seahawk games!

Post by racepug »

Well, S.B. XLVIII, for sure. That's probably my all-time favorite S.B. memory! There are plenty of NOT so great ones for me, too (mentioned in another thread: an OT loss to DEN in Seattle when Jim Turner missed a chip shot FG but the 'hawks got called for "too many men on the field" when a player went off the field through the end zone [as opposed to his own sideline]; that other loss to DEN in the late '70s when the Seahawks took something like a 34 - 10 in Denver but LOST; the regular season finale in 1984 when the Broncos came to Seattle and knocked the Seahawks off to claim the division title (and send the Seahawks to the Wild Card bracket. The Seahawks started something like 11 - 1 that season but finished 1 - 3); and, of course, the game in the late '80s when Mike Harden decked H.o.F. WR Steve Largent, knocking him out and knocking some of his teeth loose.

My 2nd favorite SEA vs. DEN memory (after that S.B. ROUT!) was of Steve Largent getting some revenge on Mike Harden in a game in Seattle late in the same season in which Mike Harden knocked Steve Largent out. The Great Steve Largent (as Raiders CB Lester Hayes used to call him) ROCKED Mike Harden's WORLD on that hit and I absolutely LOVED it (as did most other Seahawks fans in existence at the time)!
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

racepug wrote:Well, S.B. XLVIII, for sure. That's probably my all-time favorite S.B. memory! There are plenty of NOT so great ones for me, too (mentioned in another thread: an OT loss to DEN in Seattle when Jim Turner missed a chip shot FG but the 'hawks got called for "too many men on the field" when a player went off the field through the end zone [as opposed to his own sideline]; that other loss to DEN in the late '70s when the Seahawks took something like a 34 - 10 in Denver but LOST; the regular season finale in 1984 when the Broncos came to Seattle and knocked the Seahawks off to claim the division title (and send the Seahawks to the Wild Card bracket. The Seahawks started something like 11 - 1 that season but finished 1 - 3); and, of course, the game in the late '80s when Mike Harden decked H.o.F. WR Steve Largent, knocking him out and knocking some of his teeth loose.

My 2nd favorite SEA vs. DEN memory (after that S.B. ROUT!) was of Steve Largent getting some revenge on Mike Harden in a game in Seattle late in the same season in which Mike Harden knocked Steve Largent out. The Great Steve Largent (as Raiders CB Lester Hayes used to call him) ROCKED Mike Harden's WORLD on that hit and I absolutely LOVED it (as did most other Seahawks fans in existence at the time)!
That pretty much covers it from the Seahawks side, the obvious top two are Super Bowl and Largent hit on Harden. Both HL's brought up a ton this week.

3rd for me would be from the worst season in Seahawks history, 1992. But still one of my favorite games. Still watched every game from that disaster of a season. Anyway, the MNF win. Stan Gelbaugh to Brian Blades 3-yard TD at the end of regulation to send it to OT. Al Michaels called Gelbaugh "Stouffer" which bugged me as a huge Stan Gelbaugh fan, because I was -and still love rewatching the games- a huge WLAF fan and Gelbaugh played both original WLAF seasons with the Monarchs. Offensive MVP in 1991. Made Gelbaugh, to this day, probably the most off-the-radar "he was one of my favorite players/Seahawks!" player.

And not a specific game, because it happened multiple times. But Elway's face when he was whining, and literally looked near tears, about the crowd noise in the Kingdome. Sticks out because I was in the Kingdome when it happened so got the whining in-person, which as always made the crowd louder, and of course recorded the games which I watched when I got home and would see it then, too. Was part of the reason he was my least favorite player, as a kid. Which, like him more now but even as a kid I wanted to be a fan despite my 'hatred' of the Broncos. Because for his family and my family, the 'home base' is the same area -- not too long ago John himself stopped in at my Aunt's restaurant. Lot of history with his dad (Jack) playing in the oldest HS rivalry in our state, and later coaching the JUCO team in the area -- to tie it to the previous paragraph he also was HC of the Galaxy in the WLAF. John also played his HS Fr. team year in-state so always partially claim him as a fellow member of the WA HS QB Club. But back then, couldn't stand him or the face he made when he complained about the crowd being "too loud." Which, of course, was a rule back then -and existed for longer than people think- but it was still pretty soft to complain about and then to do it while making the face he was making. Twas an embarrassing display.

Of course, Elway had a lot of moments against the Seahawks. 1993 in the Kingdome, I was there, when he ducked David Brandon and threw a deep TD pass to Shannon Sharpe who got behind Robert Blackmon. That was brutal to the Seahawks but a legendary play.

To give another one to Denver, believe I wrote about it in a CC article even. The 1998 regular season finale in Denver. Not that Elway was 26-36, 338 yards, 4 TDs, but that Terrell Davis rushed for 178 which of course put him 8 yards over 2k.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

One that is not well remembered today is the week two meeting of the 1981 season, won by Seattle 13-10. The game was significant because it broke a franchise history ten-game losing streak for the 'Hawks as well as an eight game home losing streak that encompassed the 1980 season. A successful fake field goal was a key play in the win.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

Todd Pence wrote:One that is not well remembered today is the week two meeting of the 1981 season, won by Seattle 13-10. The game was significant because it broke a franchise history ten-game losing streak for the 'Hawks as well as an eight game home losing streak that encompassed the 1980 season. A successful fake field goal was a key play in the win.
Denver's loss at Seattle in Week 2 went a long way toward costing them the 1981 AFC West title. That and a 9-7 defeat at Buffalo doomed the 10-6 Broncos. It turned out to be a small measure of revenge for the 'Hawks after a 1978 overtime loss to Denver ultimately cost them the AFC West title in only their third year of existence.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Retro Rider wrote:
Denver's loss at Seattle in Week 2 went a long way toward costing them the 1981 AFC West title. That and a 9-7 defeat at Buffalo doomed the 10-6 Broncos. It turned out to be a small measure of revenge for the 'Hawks after a 1978 overtime loss to Denver ultimately cost them the AFC West title in only their third year of existence.
Also partly avenged was a 1979 game against Denver which again cost Seattle a potential playoff spot, in which the Seahawks squandered a 24-point lead.
racepug

Post by racepug »

How could I forget SEA's wild card win in 1983? Probably not "notable" for DEN fans but VERY "notable" for Seahawks' fans!
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

1995 - The Seahawks rally from 20-0 to beat Denver 31-27. At the time I believe it was the largest comeback in Seahawk history.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

The 2014 game was interesting. Denver had a late, very late, comeback. Running the same play/route concept that Seattle inexplicably couldn't stop. Got the two-point too to take it to OT. Seahawks won in OT 26-20.

Also, lot of preseason games post-realignment (including the first game following the Super Bowl) but in 1990 they played eachother in the American Bowl in Tokyo. Which I thought was weird to pick two teams from the same division but they had also done it the year before with the Rams and 49ers iirc.