Every team's best/worst season in the SB era spotlighted

Ness

Every team's best/worst season in the SB era spotlighted

Post by Ness »

This was done via NFL Throwback's YouTube channel. Some interesting choices. Didn't think they would choose they 1984 49ers team over the 1989 49ers team, but I admit I go back and forth on those myself. They choose 2004 as the worst in franchise history, but I'd go with 1978 due to all of the stories I've heard. Anyways, you can find whatever team's you are interesting in hearing via timestamps in the comments.

https://youtu.be/6ECDbLHqWtQ
racepug

Re: Every team's best/worst season in the SB era spotlighted

Post by racepug »

I know Seattle's w/o having to look them up: 1992 - worst. 2013 - best. (2022 is going to be a LOT closer to "worst" than to "best" for the Seahawks)
racepug

Post by racepug »

Ness wrote:Didn't think they would choose they 1984 49ers team over the 1989 49ers team, but I admit I go back and forth on those myself.
For me it's the 1984 team. Yeah, the 1989 team produced a record win in the S.B. (against DENVER) but the 1984 team was incredible. Only one loss on the season and then they absolutely CRUSHED the Dan Marino-led Dolphins in the S.B. (and SACKED Dan Marino 4x in that game as I recall). They were fantastic!
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Denver

Best: 1997
Worst: 2010

That's my guess.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

For San Francisco I may put 2004 as their worst team. 2-14, worst defense in football. And their two victories were both in OT (and both vs below averag Arizona. One game saw them rally back from 16 with about 4 min to go in the 4th...get both 2pt conversions and kick an OT field goal. The 2nd was a game they led 28-3 very late in the 3rd, blew a 25 pt lead, went to OT, but pulled it out

They scored 14 pts or fewer 8 times. 5 times they couldn't break single digits.

They really didn't have anyone on that team you could look at and say ok we have some pieces, these guys will be part of thing when we right the ship. That team was just miserable
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Vikings:
Best 1969 in a somewhat close call over 1998
Worst 1984

Cowboys:
Best 1977
Worst 1989
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

For Jets...yes of course 68 has to be best. Everyone knows that. But what's 2nd best. There is no obvious choice. They've never been back to a Super Bowl. 4 AFC Title Games and lost all of them...but none of those teams personally sticks out as much better than the others.

The 1998 team was a veteran/mercenary group. They were great, firing on all cylinders...but blew it on the road (to a better team, give credit where it is due) This is what most would say

The 1982 team had a monster, incredible pass rush. Speedy receivers who could bust games open, a great all purpose back (leading the league in rushing) a playmaking back/returner in Bruce Harper. Todd playing good football. You could really make a case for them that team had a lot of talent both sides of the ball

2009 and 2010 were gutsy, great pass defense, they could run the ball and they believed in themselves and Rex. They also never had a feared pass rush that could disrupt games, nor a QB who could win games on his own/pull games out of the fire. Sanchez was a disaster. You pair that team with an above average QB...not great, just above average, and they may have won a Super Bowl
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

sheajets wrote:For Jets...yes of course 68 has to be best. Everyone knows that. But what's 2nd best. There is no obvious choice. They've never been back to a Super Bowl. 4 AFC Title Games and lost all of them...but none of those teams personally sticks out as much better than the others.

The 1998 team was a veteran/mercenary group. They were great, firing on all cylinders...but blew it on the road (to a better team, give credit where it is due) This is what most would say

The 1982 team had a monster, incredible pass rush. Speedy receivers who could bust games open, a great all purpose back (leading the league in rushing) a playmaking back/returner in Bruce Harper. Todd playing good football. You could really make a case for them that team had a lot of talent both sides of the ball

2009 and 2010 were gutsy, great pass defense, they could run the ball and they believed in themselves and Rex. They also never had a feared pass rush that could disrupt games, nor a QB who could win games on his own/pull games out of the fire. Sanchez was a disaster. You pair that team with an above average QB...not great, just above average, and they may have won a Super Bowl
I would say the 2nd best team would be the 1969 team, just because Namath was relatively healthy and they had most of their 68 team still together. That 1982 team had a lot of talent...the Jets had several good drafts up to that point. They really had no excuse for being 4-12 in 1980; they had too many good players on the roster to be that bad. I guess the 'irony' is that after 1982, the Jets fired Walt Michaels because they wanted a more dynamic offense (although the Jets were 3rd in points scored in 1982), they bring in Joe Walton and his nonsensical offense, its too complicated for Richard Todd to understand, and the Jets offense immediately nosedives.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Bryan wrote:
sheajets wrote:For Jets...yes of course 68 has to be best. Everyone knows that. But what's 2nd best. There is no obvious choice. They've never been back to a Super Bowl. 4 AFC Title Games and lost all of them...but none of those teams personally sticks out as much better than the others.

I would say the 2nd best team would be the 1969 team, just because Namath was relatively healthy and they had most of their 68 team still together. That 1982 team had a lot of talent...the Jets had several good drafts up to that point. They really had no excuse for being 4-12 in 1980; they had too many good players on the roster to be that bad. I guess the 'irony' is that after 1982, the Jets fired Walt Michaels because they wanted a more dynamic offense (although the Jets were 3rd in points scored in 1982), they bring in Joe Walton and his nonsensical offense, its too complicated for Richard Todd to understand, and the Jets offense immediately nosedives.
1969 Jets were really not that good. No victories against teams with a winning record. Beat the 6-6-2 Oilers twice, that was it. Lost to Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, and Chargers again in the playoffs. Chiefs, Raiders, and Chargers were a combined 17-0-1 against the AFL East. Really the 1969 Jets were on the same level as the 1969 Chargers. Too many injuries and replacements on a defense that was never great anyway. I like the 1982 team better.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Bryan wrote:
sheajets wrote:For Jets...They really had no excuse for being 4-12 in 1980; they had too many good players on the roster to be that bad.
They were also the ONLY team to lose to the Saints that season. Ouch!