Future of the Commanders franchise

Ness

Re: Future of the Commanders franchise

Post by Ness »

I've been thinking about the Washington name change for a while now. One half of me can't believe that the franchise settled on the new name "Commanders", while the other half of me can just due to Washington's ineptitude over the last 20 plus years under Dan Snyder. The new name just reeks of corporate meddling from people at the top that aren't very creative, and or immediately picked the safest label one could think of in 15 seconds. There were a lot of other more interesting names thrown out into the stratosphere by fans leading up to the change. Maybe some of the ownership patents were already being held hostage by some looney bird, but not all other names more creative than Commanders were taken. They could have gone with Bosshogs, Mudhogs, Rogues, Redwolves, etc. Way better than what they settled with. Even Washington Football Team was way better. I don't know what the future holds for the franchise, but it's probably going to be the same old song and dance under Snyder. Even if they had Patrick Mahommes, Washington would find a way to remain an NFL doormat.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Commanders does have that bland, generic, empty and inoffensive feel to it. It's not the worst name in the world, but at least the other options had some links to the teams past.

Still, whatever they chose the reaction was going to be roughly the same. Reason being that the fans of that franchise had a name, liked the name, and the matter was closed to them. However some very powerful suits in high places decided that they wanted to destroy that franchise and the wishes of the Redskins fans were to be ignored. And now look at the embarrassing mess it's made.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Ness wrote:They could have gone with Bosshogs,

GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Winning changes everything. IF the franchise were to start winning, its fan base would grow immensely. Everybody loves a winner. Either way, eventually younger fans will only know them as the Commanders, like a lot of fans only know the Stanford Cardinal.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
racepug

Post by racepug »

Sonny9 wrote:Snyder purchased the team in May of 1999, 'nuff said.
Funny how people (like D.S.) who drive teams/businesses/organizations/what-have-you into the ground are completely oblivious to the fact that THEY ARE the problem.