Most Underrated Play By Play Announcer

Citizen

Re: Most Underrated Play By Play Announcer

Post by Citizen »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:It's tough following up the iconic Jim Irwin and Max McGee pairing. As great as Larrivee is, I still miss Jim Irwin tremendously.
Jim and Max were a lot of fun, but truthfully....they weren't very good. Irwin would frequently get player names and other details wrong, and with McGee sipping brandy the whole game, he'd be all but incoherent by the fourth quarter. Then again, those flaws probably made them perfect for the mediocre Packers of the era. I was really happy that they got to call a Super Bowl win eventually.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Jim Gibbons, the announcer on CBS for the Washington Reskins of the 50s and 60s. He was easy to listen to, similar to Lindsey Nelson. Jim Gibbons is said to have broken in Pat Summerall.
Jamie Johnson

Post by Jamie Johnson »

PBP- Gary Bender, Verne Lundquist, Mike Patrick and Tim Ryan. Loved Charlie Jones. Tremendous PBP man, yet never seemed to take himself so seriously.

Color- I know a lot of people didn't like him, but I thought Joe Theismann was an excellent color man. He and Mike Patrick had great chemistry. Wayne Walker and, for the short time he did it, Roger Staubach were underrated as well.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

My two favorites were probably Don Criqui and Dick Enberg of NBC. Liked Charlie Jones a lot too.

Wasn't really a big Summerall guy. He was fine I thought, ok voice and did a nice job. Was part of the NFL fabric in one way or another for so many years...just found him very vanilla and uninteresting. You probably could've paired Madden with any number of PBP guys and ended up with a legendary booth if they stayed together long enough.

Also thought Mike Patrick on ESPN was a great PBP guy. Good voice and a tremendous love for the game and energy. Always very much on top of what was happening