Worst Pre-Season Predictions (team, player, or coach)

7DnBrnc53

Worst Pre-Season Predictions (team, player, or coach)

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I was looking at Game Plan's 1978 preview issue, and they had the Raiders going back to the Super Bowl against Dallas. What? If they couldn't see that the Raiders were aging, they were blind.
74_75_78_79_

Re: Worst Pre-Season Predictions (team, player, or coach)

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Didn't Playboy pick the Eagles to win the Super Bowl in '89?

I believe my Steelers were atop many Power Rankings polls going into '98!

But how about Yours Truly picking Fisher's Rams to go to the Super Bowl as top-seed in 2015 (losing to Pats, Brady SBMVP)?? The logic there was after initial years of being stuck in mediocrity, they finally burst into a SB team as the Titans specifically did in '99!

I also picked Koetter's Bucs to win the NFC in 2017! Get beaten lopsided by the Pats with Brady being MVP, but still...(???)...
Mark

Post by Mark »

Going purely by memory with nothing to back this up but I seem to recall Jimmy the Greek predicting a Cardinal-Raider Super Bowl in 1986.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Mark wrote:Going purely by memory with nothing to back this up but I seem to recall Jimmy the Greek predicting a Cardinal-Raider Super Bowl in 1986.
I remember watching a pre-season football special on CBS that year, and he seemed to be pretty high on the Raiders.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Prior to the 1985 season, Brent Musburger predicted a Packers-Seahawks Super Bowl. Neither team made the playoffs.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Citizen wrote:Prior to the 1985 season, Brent Musburger predicted a Packers-Seahawks Super Bowl. Neither team made the playoffs.

I think Gameplan magazine had 49ers-Seahawks Super Bowl. A lot of people were high on the Seahawks as they went 12-4 without Curt Warner the year before.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Game Plan was also the magazine that had a writer say (in their 1981 issue) that they didn't see either DeBerg or Montana being the long-term answer in San Francisco.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

I recall the Giants went 6-0 during the preseason in 1973 and since the Jets were coming off Joe Namath's last healthy full season (1972) there were those publications touting an all NY Super Bowl. BTW Namath got hurt in Week #2 and the 'Jints when 1-12-1. [Insert Debbie Downer music here...[]
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

That was the year that I had a bad prediction: Chiefs-49ers in Super Bowl 33 (OTOH, I had the Falcons making the playoffs when hardly anyone did, and they went to the Super Bowl).
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
That was the year that I had a bad prediction: Chiefs-49ers in Super Bowl 33 (OTOH, I had the Falcons making the playoffs when hardly anyone did, and they went to the Super Bowl).
Mine, that year, was far, far worse! Leaf having a better career than Peyton!

Oh yes! And Den & Atl going into OT! Reeves and Elway/Shanny in quite a chess match! Both parties being familiar with each other. Broncos were 7.5 favorites. That half-point caught my attention only for me to ignore what it was trying to tell me anyway.

However, I do remember going into ‘98 thinking that Atlanta would be good. I might have even thought SB but really don’t remember. I did think they would beat Minny though. And did see Denver repeating in the off-season despite the general Power Rankings Steeler-love.