Worst Games You've Come Across

Hail Casares

Worst Games You've Come Across

Post by Hail Casares »

Got into a deep Youtube/Google hole and stumbled across the name of Kent Nix.

In Week 3 of 1971 he put up this stat line for the Bears vs the Rams.

23 attempts
5 completions
21% Compl
0 TD's
3 INT's
0.0 Rating

Sacked 3 times for 27 yards
0 rushes
0 yards

In a franchise known for terrible QB'ing, this game might be the worst ever. Even the 2010 Carolina game by Todd Collins had a higher QB rating.

What are some of yours?
Brian wolf

Re: Worst Games You've Come Across

Post by Brian wolf »

Rex Grossman, Kerry Collins, Cam Newton, Craig Morton, Jim Kelly(against Dallas), Fran Tarkenton in SB games ... The worst time to look bad. Big Ben had a bad SB but his team bailed him out, or the refs but the calls went both ways ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I think Collins probably played the worst SB ever since he had numerous interceptions dropped but Newton played against the Broncos like he was on the take. Earl Morrall played a bad SB game as well but had some easy passes dropped ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Jefferson Street Joe Gilliam started against the Dolphins in a 1973 MNF game. Statline of 0 for 7 with 3 INTs, 2 of which were returned for TDs and the third INT was returned to the 2 yard line. Gilliam was then mercifully benched.

Honorable mention to the master of the single-digit passer rating game, Richard Todd. He had a start with the Saints against SF where he had a 2 of 7 for 5 yards and 3 INT performance before getting lifted.

And who can forget Wilford White's 6 carry, negative 35 yard performance for the Bears against the Rams in 1952...featuring a -48 yard run, subsequent fumble and Rams defensive TD.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Bryan wrote: And who can forget Wilford White's 6 carry, negative 35 yard performance for the Bears against the Rams in 1952...featuring a -48 yard run, subsequent fumble and Rams defensive TD.
To be fair to ol' "Whizzer" White, in that 1952 game he did lead all receivers with 62 yards on a couple of receptions. So there's that.

And if you're wondering--like I was---how the hell a guy loses 48 yards on a running play, here's the story in the next day's L.A. Mirror.
whizzer white .jpg
whizzer white .jpg (163.97 KiB) Viewed 7635 times
Last edited by RichardBak on Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

RichardBak ... who are you rooting for amongst the senior finalists ? Do you like or support the list at all ?
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Brian wolf wrote:Rex Grossman, Kerry Collins, Cam Newton, Craig Morton, Jim Kelly(against Dallas), Fran Tarkenton in SB games ... The worst time to look bad. Big Ben had a bad SB but his team bailed him out, or the refs but the calls went both ways ...
Don't forget Billy Kilmer in Super Bowl VII. When Jake Scott accepted the Super Bowl MVP trophy, he said, "I want to thank Billy Kilmer for making this possible."
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Yeah, Kilmer played bad ... Even head official Tommy Bell told him about it.
He sure wasnt picking on Charlie Waters against Miami. To this day, I believe Landry made the mistake of benching Adderley in the NFC Championship game. Another Miami-Dallas SB would have been interesting.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

This game didn't make my "Bottom 10" list when I made it long ago, but the 1974 Falcons Packers game deserves special mention. It was won by Kim McQuilken, pretty much the worst NFL quarterback ever. Rain and wind and about 50,000 no shows in Atlanta for the last game of the season. The Falcons featured one of the worst NFL offenses ever, one that managed more turnovers and sacks given up than the 1977 Buccaneers. The Falcons somehow won 10-3 over a Packer team that barely averted a wildcat strike due to discontent with outgoing coach Dan Devine.
racepug

Post by racepug »

For worst games a couple of Seahawks ones (one against the Raiders, one against the Cardinals) come to mind. Absolutely inept play by both teams on both sides of the ball. It's a miracle either team scored in either of those games.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 290crd.htm (I'd completely forgotten that former Seahawks' QB Dave Krieg started for ARZ in that one)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 220rai.htm (I think this was the only start that Gino Torretta ever got in the N.F.L. He threw a single touchdown pass in that game. I swear it was the only decent pass he threw all game)

For worst performance by a single player it's hard to beat (poor) Tony Eason in S.B. XX. Poor kid played like a deer in headlights against "Da Bears" that night. I'm not sure he ever recovered from the shellacking "Da Bears" administered to him and his team.