Kyler Murray highest-paid QB?

racepug

Kyler Murray highest-paid QB?

Post by racepug »

I get that teams want to keep hold of their (star) players but ARZ making Kyler Murray the highest-paid QB in the league makes absolutely NO sense to me. Going over it in my mind last night I could come up with at least 10 QBs in the N.F.L. who I think are better than Kyler Murray. At least 10 (if you want my list, PM me). 1) Way to skew league QB salaries, Cardinals! 2) Throwing all that money at ONE player (especially one who isn't really worth that much) is going to hamstring the Cardinals for YEARS. All in all I don't think that was a wise move by ARZ, at all. (But pretty much keeping with the way that franchise has been run over the decades)
Mark

Re: Kyler Murray highest-paid QB?

Post by Mark »

Someone told me there is a clause he has to spend at least 4 hours a week in independent film study. Has that been an issue?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Murray is at least better than Jay Cutler was.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Mark wrote:Someone told me there is a clause he has to spend at least 4 hours a week in independent film study. Has that been an issue?
I'm not sure about that, in particular, but from what I've read there are concerns about him on the "maturity" and "leadership" fronts so maybe "engaging in independent film study" has something to do with one (or both) of those.
Ness

Post by Ness »

Mark wrote:Someone told me there is a clause he has to spend at least 4 hours a week in independent film study. Has that been an issue?
He had a pretty disturbing quote about six months ago in an interview:
“I think I was blessed with the cognitive skills to just go out there and just see it before it happens,” Murray said. “I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film. I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because, in my head, I see so much.”
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

So let's see----Murray's won only 22 of 46 career starts, lost the only postseason game he's ever been in, and shuns the hard work of looking at film. For that let's give him the richest contract ever. Modern sports in a nutshell.

Guess the kid's ego is too big to cram into a film study room.

Bobby Layne watched more film than anybody (except Buddy Parker) on those old Lions teams, often running the projector on Sunday mornings hoping to find something--anything---that might give him and the team an edge and slightly better chance of winning. But then ol' Bobby, a mere mortal unlike the uniquely blessed Murray, won some championships.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Murray's contract does not make him the highest paid player in the NFL.

Highest NFL QB salaries in 2022 (per Google):
Aaron Rodgers (Packers): $50.3 million (3-year, $150.8 million contract)
Kyler Murray (Cardinals): $46.1 million (5-year, $230.5 million contract)
Deshaun Watson (Browns): $46 million (5-year $230 million contract)
Patrick Mahomes (Chiefs): $45 million (10-year $450 million contract)

Also: https://www.nfl.com/photos/ranking-the- ... s-for-2022

However, the "you are required to do your homework" stipulation does seem to indicate a level of immaturity and over-confidence hitherto unseen in the NFL with perhaps a few exceptions...
Notably, players who were not allowed (supposed) to... ride motorcycles or play other sports while under contract; or drink during or before games... or the rules against smoking/ingesting marijuana (although now legal in many states), etc. etc.

The requirement for film study seems particularly egregious considering the amount of pay and usual expectations regarding a "star" QB but it isn't really unprecedented...
Perhaps a few "common sense" contract points ("Thou shall not abuse women", for instance) are required in today's NFL, to protect teams and players from their own worst instincts.
Perhaps we could use them in all of society...
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

When it comes to "morality" clauses for NFL players let's not forget...

Johnny Blood:
When coach Curly Lambeau first negotiated a contract with McNally to play for the Green Bay Packers he offered him a $110 a week if he wouldn't drink after Wednesday and $100 a week if he did. McNally allegedly took the $100, although a later story said Lambeau said he would give him the $110 and let him drink on Wednesday for being so honest about it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_%2 ... 22_McNally
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

JuggernautJ wrote:When it comes to "morality" clauses for NFL players let's not forget...

Johnny Blood:
When coach Curly Lambeau first negotiated a contract with McNally to play for the Green Bay Packers he offered him a $110 a week if he wouldn't drink after Wednesday and $100 a week if he did. McNally allegedly took the $100, although a later story said Lambeau said he would give him the $110 and let him drink on Wednesday for being so honest about it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_%2 ... 22_McNally
That's not quite the way John told the story.

His version was that Lambeau offered him $110 a week if he wouldn't drink after Tuesday and John's counter-offer was, "Make it $100 and let me drink on Wednesday," and Lambeau accepted. So he was paid $100 a game, not $110.