Dynasties of Heartbreak (Football Outsiders)

RRMarshall

Re: Dynasties of Heartbreak (Football Outsiders)

Post by RRMarshall »

Do you believe Dan Reeves deserves to be in the HOF
I still haven't forgiven him for deflecting that pass into the hands of Mike Curtis to set up Jim O'Brien's GW FG in SB V :)
JWL

Post by JWL »

Bryan wrote:I usually just accept the "suspension of disbelief" required by Football Outsiders' historical opinions, but this is one of the the strangest articles I have ever seen. . .

Absolute nonsense.
Football has too long of an offseason and it results in articles like this one being written.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

rhickok1109 wrote:Reeves coached three teams and had losing records with two of them.

In 23 seasons, he averaged about 8.5 wins and 7.5 losses a season.

Doesn't look like an HOF resume to me.
He had 12 winning seasons and 2 .500 seasons. 9 losing seasons. He did however go to the Super Bowl 4 times as a head coach. That's a great accomplishment. As is winning playoff games with 3 different franchises. Not sure if you can hold all those losing seasons against him though. 1997 with Atlanta he inherited a 3-13 June Jones team and got them to 7-9 and then the Super Bowl the next year. 1996 Giants just had no talent, especially on the offensive side of the ball. But there were also some disappointing years...but he always managed to bounce back

He also won a Super Bowl as OC of the 1977 Cowboys and the 78 squad which got to the Super Bowl and lost to Pitt. He played 8 years as a player and while he wasn't anything special, he did win a Super Bowl, play in another (SB V), played in the Ice Bowl, the great 66 NFL Championship Game. Seems like so many NFL moments had Dan Reeves involved somehow. Though I never saw him as a great coach, he was good to very good in a lot of capacities in the NFL for a very long time.