25 best small-school quarterbacks in NFL history

Lee Elder

Re: 25 best small-school quarterbacks in NFL history

Post by Lee Elder »

Bryan wrote:
rhickok1109 wrote:I wonder how they define "small school."

Central Florida, for example, is a Division I FBS school that has the largest enrollment of any college in Florida. San Jose State is also a division I FBS school with an enrollment well over 30,000.
Yeah, the criteria is a bit wonky. The article says "be it low-level Division I programs or non-Division I schools"...if that is the case, then any QB from my alma mater (U of Illinois) should be considered for this list!

What about Steve Young and all of those BYU QBs? Does Roger Staubach of Navy qualify?

I remember hearing about Neil Lomax when he was in college, because he was setting all the passing records. I think Dave Krieg would have to be the ultimate small-school QB, because his school ceased to exist. There was a period of time in the Pennington/Leftwich/Roethlisberger era that the MAC conference was producing the best QBs. Strange.
I was doing color commentary for the Cal Poly Pomona home games the year Portland State and Lomax beat Cal Poly 93-0. Lomax was in that game much longer than he needed to be, running up his stats and the score. Mouse Davis was the coach at Portland State and left Lomax in to get himself (Davis) noticed. Roman Gabriel coached Cal Poly that season. He was not happy when the two coaches met for the post-game handshake.
Ronfitch

Re: 25 best small-school quarterbacks in NFL history

Post by Ronfitch »

rhickok1109 wrote:I wonder how they define "small school."

Central Florida, for example, is a Division I FBS school that has the largest enrollment of any college in Florida. San Jose State is also a division I FBS school with an enrollment well over 30,000.
It gets back to definition - when Culpepper entered UCF, it was a D-II program and an FCS school when he left. Though the student population was about 30k when he left the school
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen