College realignment

racepug

Re: College realignment

Post by racepug »

RyanChristiansen wrote:As for chasing the money, that animal was let out of the barn a long time ago, so I kind of shrug about it.
An opinion from Boulder, CO (one that I, in this day and age, agree with): https://www.yahoo.com/news/rooney-past- ... 00345.html
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Yeah, change happens, I guess. Considering that historic Rose Bowl "connection" between both the Big Ten and Pac Ten, May as well have a 'double'-conference between the two. Have the best from one play the best from the other then take it from there!

I really do like college ball still. To me, you need to have both it and pro-ball simultaneously being that both are different.

All I ask is just a BIT more defense! Perhaps an anti-'78 rule change, maybe! And Penn State and Pitt from here-on-out playing each other every single year the day-after-Thanksgiving from here to eternity!

I'll ask that for now!
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Y....And Penn State and Pitt from here-on-out playing each other every single year the day-after-Thanksgiving from here to eternity!

I'll ask that for now!
My dad graduated from Pitt (Class of 1952) and my Uncle (his brother-in-law) went to Penn State.
They were friends but man could things get heated during football season...
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

JuggernautJ wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:Y....And Penn State and Pitt from here-on-out playing each other every single year the day-after-Thanksgiving from here to eternity!

I'll ask that for now!
My dad graduated from Pitt (Class of 1952) and my Uncle (his brother-in-law) went to Penn State.
They were friends but man could things get heated during football season...
Pitt alumnus here. They need to go back to playing Penn State, WVU, and Notre Dame every year. Those were the good old days.

As far as realignment, this does not look good for the PAC-12, ACC, and Big 12, especially if more of their schools move to either the Big 10 or SEC. E.g. Oregon or Washington... which I hear are looking to join the LA schools.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I always thought that the ideal situation would be to have 4 super conferences that each have two divisions. The division winners play each other for the conference championship, and the conference champions have a 4-team playoff for the title. That way, there is no need for mathematical formulas and rankings and so forth...everything is decided on the field.
Terry Baldshaw

Post by Terry Baldshaw »

Pitt alumnus here. They need to go back to playing Penn State, WVU, and Notre Dame every year. Those were the good old days.

"Hail to Pitt!" I've heard the ACC is considering an alliance with the Big 12. If the SEC expands the ACC can kiss goodbye Clemson, Florida State and Miami, Fla. The perfect situation for Pitt would be an invitation from the Big Ten along with WVU.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Terry Baldshaw wrote:Pitt alumnus here. They need to go back to playing Penn State, WVU, and Notre Dame every year. Those were the good old days.

"Hail to Pitt!" I've heard the ACC is considering an alliance with the Big 12. If the SEC expands the ACC can kiss goodbye Clemson, Florida State and Miami, Fla. The perfect situation for Pitt would be an invitation from the Big Ten along with WVU.
WVU alum here. At least we got the Backyard Brawl back this year.
Terry Baldshaw

Post by Terry Baldshaw »

WVU alum here. At least we got the Backyard Brawl back this year.[/quote]

Opening game of the season. They should play it every year. WVU belongs in the ACC,
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Meh.

Everything's a money grab in this freaking world.

It's harder and harder to find one true thing anywhere.
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

It's a big deal but I don't think the sky is falling in college football.

Honestly with more than 4 teams the best team in other confrences will still get a shot. Even undefeated non "power 5" teams would have gotten chances if the 4 team setup had been around in the more equal BCS era. The only reason confrence superiority matters so much is the 4 playoff slots, with 8 or even 6(my preferred number) the SEC and Big 10(along with a few other programs) will not be monopolizing those slots.

Pac 12 might be screwed because the Big 12 is trying to poach 6 of the 10 remaining teams. If that goes through that will kill the confrence. If they were to keep Oregon and Washington maybe they could pick up some Boise States and programs like that and salvage something? I thought the Pac 12 was safer than the Big 12 or even the ACC just because of the geographical isolation and the Rose Bowl tradition but I guess I was wrong. The Big 12 and ACC still have big time basketball I don't follow that closely at all but I don't recall any big Pac 12 basketball schools?

SEC and Big 10 can't absorb everyone relevant there will be more than 2 confrences with these recent moves they will both have 16 teams. The Big 12/Big 20 would have 20 teams if the whole Pac 12 thing happens. The ACC's got 14 not counting Notre Dame. I just don't see any more room for expansion. This is football not imperialism you have to make a schedule.

I see more of a three tiered system but in reality we already sort of had a three tiered system if we look at how ACC,Pac 12 and Big 12 schools(not named Clemson or Oklahoma) are treated by the playoff system. Remember FSU being number 3 with an undefeated record because at that time the ACC was simply not respected? It's sad a lot of old rivalrys are being ripped up(which unlike the minor bowls will be widely missed) but with even a slight expansion of the playoffs I don't see much changing in terms of the fairness of the college football. If anything NIL and a playoff expansion might make it slightly more fair. These top SEC and Big 10 teams are going to have a tough time going through the season unbeaten or with 1 loss compared to the other confrences and even if that's held against the weaker confrences with more spots will that matter as much?