The Death of NFL Dynasties

sheajets

Re: The Death of NFL Dynasties

Post by sheajets »

You could say the real end for the 49ers was when they didn't draft Tom Brady. They got a lot of miles out of what they started in 1981. The late 90s teams I really don't consider too linked to those glory years squads, but some guys were still around that were at least linked to the 1994 team(Rice, Young and others) but they had a continuous string of winning seasons (10 or more win seasons) from 1983-1998.

Then there was a 2 year blip and then they're suddenly back again in 2001 and 2002. After that it all fell apart for good finally
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Another reason for the demise of the 49ers dynasty was that Bill Walsh wanted them to draft Jake Plummer in 1997, but the total doofus Vinny Cerrato was running the Niners' draft, and he opted for Jim Druckenmiller instead. It's no accident Cerrato is out of football and Walsh is in the Hall of Fame.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

sheajets wrote:You could say the real end for the 49ers was when they didn't draft Tom Brady. They got a lot of miles out of what they started in 1981. The late 90s teams I really don't consider too linked to those glory years squads, but some guys were still around that were at least linked to the 1994 team(Rice, Young and others) but they had a continuous string of winning seasons (10 or more win seasons) from 1983-1998.

Then there was a 2 year blip and then they're suddenly back again in 2001 and 2002. After that it all fell apart for good finally
I don't see Brady making a difference for them. He would have been second string for the better part of four years. He didn't fit the Walsh WCO that Mooch ran because he wasn't mobile enough. He probably doesn't start most of the games until 2004. I can see SF doing a tad better, but they still fire Erickson and hire Mike Nolan. And, as we know, new coaches mean new QB's, so I see them taking Smith or Rodgers round 1.