Packers

racepug

Re: Packers

Post by racepug »

Oszuscik wrote:Rodgers is a supremely talented quarterback and athlete, but in my opinion his mental makeup is what undoes him in the playoffs. This season especially he’s made a point to publicly state that he’s a “critical thinker”. Well, I think that factors in to his playoff failures. He gets in his own head and struggles to overcome setbacks. You see that during the regular season too, he barks at teammates and gets too upset over incompletions or failed plays. I also don’t think he’s capable of inspiring teammates the way Favre could or the way Brady can. None of this is to say that Rodgers isn’t among the best, but his head seems to work against him more often than not in the playoffs.
Here's somebody who thinks A.R. is too hung up on his passer rating and because of that "plays it too safe" in the playoffs: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/aaron-rodg ... 45417.html
Oszuscik

Post by Oszuscik »

racepug wrote:
Oszuscik wrote:Rodgers is a supremely talented quarterback and athlete, but in my opinion his mental makeup is what undoes him in the playoffs. This season especially he’s made a point to publicly state that he’s a “critical thinker”. Well, I think that factors in to his playoff failures. He gets in his own head and struggles to overcome setbacks. You see that during the regular season too, he barks at teammates and gets too upset over incompletions or failed plays. I also don’t think he’s capable of inspiring teammates the way Favre could or the way Brady can. None of this is to say that Rodgers isn’t among the best, but his head seems to work against him more often than not in the playoffs.
Here's somebody who thinks A.R. is too hung up on his passer rating and because of that "plays it too safe" in the playoffs: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/aaron-rodg ... 45417.html
It's hard to dismiss that opinion. Rodgers is a complicated guy, it's hard to know what makes him tick. Does he love football? Or does he love that he's good at football? Who knows. Once he retires and all the PR games are over with I'm looking forward to reading some deep dives into his career and his time with the Packers.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Rodgers is still running out of time. MVPs, passing titles or not, he still doesnt want to be known as a one-time champion like Dilfer, Johnson, Foles, Williams, Rypian or Hostetler. He will probably still be the all-time statistical leading passer when he retires and after watching Brett Favre's balls out approach to passing and interceptions -- and the postseason criticisms -- he smartly decided to take the Bart Starr approach and take sacks or throw the ball away but he really has no choice but to stay with the Packers and try again. This team has too much talent and a very weak division to walk away from.

Yes, he and Favre have left probably too many championships on the table but as I mentioned in another post, it also may not be the team's complete fault. Despite GB's great historical legacy, they are still a small-market team and the NFL wants more teams, especially in bigger markets, having chances at SB wins. Yes, it sounds crazy and is but how many times have Packer teams under Favre or Rodgers been upset in the postseason? Enough in my mind for Las Vegas to have made plenty of money ...
Mark

Post by Mark »

I am not a gambler but my understanding is that Vegas makes its money either way. The reason for the point spread is to make sure there are an even number of bets on each team. Vegas makes a percentage of each. They only potentially lose if there are too many bets on one side. In addition Green Bay may be a small market team but they have the fanbase of a large market. I live in Virginia but I know more Packer fans than Jets or Rams fans.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

When the book is written on quarterback rating, Rodgers will be Exhibit A of what a sham statistic it is. There’s more to the position than risk aversion. In fact, playing QB in the NFL requires a willingness to roll the dice sometimes, and not just at Hail Mary time. Rodgers refuses, and his team pays the price.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

It still seems like Rodgers hasn't gotten over the loss to the Bucs from 2020/21. Remember this Packer team rolled over these Rams in the divisional, who had a better defensive rating than their current champion.
Then they lose a bitter championship game, where they rally with the defense forcing turnovers from Brady in the second half but with a chance to tie the game, Rodgers misses on three straight passes and the young HC decides on a FG. The offense never gets the ball back and Rodgers contemplates wanting a trade or retirement but comes back to become MVP again.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Remember, Marino didn't win any Super Bowls. And he had Don Shula for a head coach. While being one of the all-time great quarterbacks certainly puts you in a position to win a lot of Super Bowls, it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
racepug

Post by racepug »

Interesting take on the Packers, Favre, and Rodgers: https://www.yahoo.com/news/souhan-packe ... 00752.html
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

racepug wrote:
I think that's pretty far off the mark. JayZ is much closer to the truth, I think.

Facing a 3rd down and 10 in the NFC championship game last year, Aaron Jones was wide open over the middle for an easy completion and an easy first down, but Rodgers opted to throw to a receiver on the sideline, 25 yards down the field. The incompletion pretty much ended any hope the Packers had.

Somebody posted a screenshot from their playoff loss this season, clearly showing that Rodgers had four open receivers in a similar 3rd-and-long situation, yet he threw to a double-covered Adams.

That kind of scenario has been played out much too often.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Some would say (and HAVE said) that the Packers haven't done enough to surround Aaron Rodgers with other great players. Well. . .https://www.yahoo.com/sports/loaded-eve ... 30662.html