1900 Season and first Owner

TanksAndSpartans

1900 Season and first Owner

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I know we usually don’t get into a lot of discussion of early pro football, but I found something while working on a project I thought was worth sharing. As background I was interested in this because the Duquesne Country and Athletic Club had been the top team in the circuit for the previous several seasons and during the offseason Homestead, an also ran previously, poached their top players and put themselves in position to take over the top spot. I've seen stuff like that in the Ohio League with Peggy Parratt, but this time it was a bit of a head scratcher because of what has been written about William Chase Temple's involvement with both teams.

The PFHOF claims William Chase Temple is the first “owner” or something along those lines. Here’s a link:

https://www.profootballhof.com/football ... lub-owner/

In my opinion, Temple never "owned" the DC & AC football team.  Any statement along those lines doesn't really make sense based on my understanding of what actually took place.  His money made the team successful for the club and it sounds like there were some folks in club ownership/management he didn't like - my guess would be he didn't feel they appreciated his accomplishment and he bailed.  

Here is what Temple said in his own words:

"...helped build up the D.C. & A.C.; spent money like water, without its costing the club a cent, although continually obstructed and handicapped by the very same crowd that is making the trouble in D.C. & A.C. ranks this year."

My take away is he felt like why the heck should I support this team anymore?  Not only the club doesn't offer me sufficient financial support as I'm spending all my own money, but they don't even appreciate it!  I singlehandedly put together the best team in the country - we only gave up something like 20 points in 2 years - went 20-0 without even a close game and all they do is nitpick and give me grief when a thank you would suffice :).  By teaming with the Carnegie money guys (Alva Dinkey, etc.) behind the Homestead Library & Athletic Club instead, my guess is he felt there would be someone else to spend some money for a change and he'd have a better chance to get a return on his investment. If he had "owned" the DC & AC team in the sense that word is defined in the dictionary, he likely would have sold it when he became a Homestead backer, but that was never the case. The athletic club team went right along without his money. It might have been a really smart move by Carnegie though. Offering Temple a spot with them would pretty much eliminate the chance of getting into a bidding war. With Temple on their side, they were betting the DC & AC didn't have some other "angel donor" to step in and that's pretty much how it worked out - Homestead was able to sign all the players they wanted.

P.S. The same article also provided an interesting data point. Winstein, a top lineman, was offered $300 for the season by the DC & AC, but wanted $500. He wound up with Homestead, so I assume they gave him something close to his ask.