Urban Meyer finished after 13 games

74_75_78_79_

Urban Meyer finished after 13 games

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Of course in this case he was fired instead of resigning, and in this case he is a previous college football (multiple times) National Champion as opposed to a future one, but the ’76 Jets immediately comes to mind upon hearing this news. Yes, other obvious differences as well, but still.
Brian wolf

Re: Urban Meyer finished after 13 games

Post by Brian wolf »

I think Baalke is poison.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

The Wrath of (Shad) Khan.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I dont feel the team will stay in Jax anyway ...
JWL

Post by JWL »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Of course in this case he was fired instead of resigning, and in this case he is a previous college football (multiple times) National Champion as opposed to a future one, but the ’76 Jets immediately comes to mind upon hearing this news. Yes, other obvious differences as well, but still.
Since Meyer was/is more of a jerk, the better comparison is to Bobby Petrino but all three of these cases are quite similar from a bird's eye view.

Holtz: 3-10
Petrino: 3-10
Meyer: 2-11

The first two quit to take jobs at Arkansas.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Benching JRob lit the fire, kicking the kicker was the last straw. Bye Felicia. Definitely on the level of Petrino among the worst coaching hires ever; many saw it coming, but I thought Urban would be too much of a professional to let it be a complete disaster. Turns out he conducted himself far from professionally just about the entire time...
racepug

Post by racepug »

I just wish JAX could find some stability. I've been a (sorta) fan ever since Mark Brunell was their QB.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The Jags never recovered from blowing that 2017/18 AFC Championship game against NE.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Don't forget Belichick's DC in Cleveland, Nick Saban. Another NCAA coaching great that didn't make it in the NFL. Bud Wilkinson is another.

I guess the question is, "Why aren't great NCAA head coaches able to translate that success to the NFL?"

Pete Carroll's done well in Seattle. Kingsbury has put together a good season in Arizona, although he didn't have a great NCAA coaching record.

A lot of times coaches take over teams that have struggled for a long time -- so maybe that's part of it. We all see how Meyer's behavior played a part, but for most cases that isn't an issue like it appears to be in Meyer's case.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Other college coaches who stayed a few seasons in the NFL with two different teams were Dennis Erickson and Chip Kelly.