Kirk Cousins at least second-best Vikings QB all-time?

sluggermatt15

Re: Kirk Cousins at least second-best Vikings QB all-time?

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Statistically, yes, Cousins' numbers speak for himself. But would you really rely on him to win the big game? I don't know that I would.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

sluggermatt15 wrote:Statistically, yes, Cousins' numbers speak for himself. But would you really rely on him to win the big game? I don't know that I would.
ESPN's QBR rating, a play by play rating, rates Cousins a LOT lower than the old NFL stats based rating, particularly since he joined the Vikings. So there is probably something to it.

Cousins is what I call a B quarterback. Earl Morrall, Dave Krieg, DeBerg, Testaverde. They can throw with anyone, and they play forever because someone always needs them when the prospects fizzle out. But there's something missing that keeps them from the top level.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Jay Z wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:Cousins is what I call a B quarterback. Earl Morrall, Dave Krieg, DeBerg, Testaverde. They can throw with anyone, and they play forever because someone always needs them when the prospects fizzle out. But there's something missing that keeps them from the top level.
I think that's a fair assessment, and a reasonably good group of comparisons.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Can Cousins ever win a divisional playoff for the Vikes ?
Even former punter Bob Lee took the Vikings to the NFC Championship ... ironically, the two years that Roger Staubach won the SB with the Dallas Cowboys, he beat Lee and the Vikings in the 1971 and 1977 postseasons.

Vikings QBs who won divisional playoff games

Kapp
Tarkenton
Lee
Wilson
Cunningham
Culpepper
Favre
Keenum

To this day I am not sure which was the more devastating loss, the 98/99 NFC Championship game or the 2009/10 game ?
Last edited by Brian wolf on Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

[quote="7DnBrnc53"

He also had to deal with racism in Boston, didn't he (and Plunkett)?[/quote]

Now that had never occurred to me. Did some Bostonians view these guys as Mexicans from California?
vikingsfan1963

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

Wow, never heard that! All I know is that whenever I watch any film of the '70 Pats I see Kapp get brutalized
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
vikingsfan1963 wrote:I agree that the Vikings blundered by not re-signing Kapp. I believe they would've won Super Bowl V with him. Instead, he misses all of camp and comes in out-of-shape with the Pats and gets brutalized playing behind an awful offensive line. I still say the '70 Pats are one of the all-time worst NFL teams.
He also had to deal with racism in Boston, didn't he (and Plunkett)?
I live in Massachusetts and, even though I'm a Packer fan, I follow the Patriots pretty closely. I never heard anything about racism involving either Kapp or Plunkett. Racism from whom? And how did it supposedly affect his play?
The fact is that Kapp was a mediocre at best and he was absolutely terrible with the Pats. Stats don't tell you everything, but 3 TDs and 17 INTs certainly tells you alot.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Cousins is 1-1 in the playoffs with the Vikings. His numbers are just okay.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... elog/post/

Consider the 2020 Vikings had a Top 5 scoring defense and Top 2 red zone defense. I doubt he is as good with a worse defense behind him.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Despite rallying the Vikings, Cousins gets the loss for the Lions first win of 2021 ... They have to beat the teams they are supposed to ... Enjoy this victory RichardBak !