Dumbest ideas the NFL had

GameBeforeTheMoney

Re: Dumbest ideas the NFL had

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

"I remain absolutely baffled that people would yearn for fewer games."

That's a fair point. And yes, okay, so more teams have games that "mean more" by playing with the postseason on the line.

But the definition (for lack of a better term) of a championship has changed over the years -- this could be a topic all its own. The championship game used to be to determine which of the two division or conference winners would win if they played each other for the title. Understandably a few more teams were added as the competition got better overall. Now, however, it's become a tournament in which clearly inferior teams can win a championship. So, the playoffs don't function the same way that they used to -- in determining which team is likely the best. Is it better that a 9-7 wildcard can win the Super Bowl? It's really for debate. I prefer situations where the early regular-season games matter more and if you can't sustain excellence throughout the entire season, then you don't deserve a shot at the championship. I understand that I might be in the minority here, but it's not about being sentimental about the Cowboys/Steelers Super Bowls. I'd simply rather see two teams that have been excellent the whole year play for a championship rather than a team that has played so-so for two-thirds of the season play against a team that simply won its last three games to squeak out a playoff berth.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

And I agree about the preseason games in terms of pay and avoiding injury but they do appear to have a place in conditioning players for the regular season.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thats what I disagreed about the 2011 CBA agreement between players and owners. Less contact during preseason and weekly practices. Sure, you didnt have to have practices like Dick Vermeil but you have to have some contact and scrimmaging to keep your players hard nosed and ready for games but thats gone as well, while more non-contact injuries are on the uprise. A couple of preseason games but slighty more contact practices and scrimmaging would be better for teams without 17, 18 game seasons.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

There’s been several dumb ideas but the one that has me shaking my head during every game I watch is the QB sliding rule. Sliding leaves the QB completely defenceless. It also puts defenders in a horribly precarious position when having to make a play on a scrambling QB.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

JohnH19 wrote:There’s been several dumb ideas but the one that has me shaking my head during every game I watch is the QB sliding rule. Sliding leaves the QB completely defenceless. It also puts defenders in a horribly precarious position when having to make a play on a scrambling QB.
Somewhere out there there's a highlight film where Johnny Unitas has tucked the ball and started running and some defensive lineman, lying on the ground, swings out a leg and kicks him in the nuts as he runs past. Might've been one of the championship games. For some reason that came to mind.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

RichardBak wrote: Somewhere out there there's a highlight film where Johnny Unitas has tucked the ball and started running and some defensive lineman, lying on the ground, swings out a leg and kicks him in the nuts as he runs past. Might've been one of the championship games. For some reason that came to mind.
I think you're referencing Ben Davidson. He didn't kick so much as lift his leg to impede Unitas. To be more accurate, Unitas ran his nuts into Ben's foot. :D
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

JohnR wrote:
RichardBak wrote: Somewhere out there there's a highlight film where Johnny Unitas has tucked the ball and started running and some defensive lineman, lying on the ground, swings out a leg and kicks him in the nuts as he runs past. Might've been one of the championship games. For some reason that came to mind.
I think you're referencing Ben Davidson. He didn't kick so much as lift his leg to impede Unitas. To be more accurate, Unitas ran his nuts into Ben's foot. :D
Yeah, that's it--the 1970 AFC title game. Big Ben and Johnny U---dem wuz the days.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

This is more on coaches, but turning preseason games into 60 minutes of boredom has turned what might be something worthwhile to watch into watch the first quarter and move onto other things. Making season-ticket holders pay full price for this trash is on the owners, with Goodell having the gall to act as if increasing the number of regular season games was addressing fan complaints.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Changing the rule (about 30 years ago) that teams from the same division can't meet in the first round of the playoffs. Personally, I hate seeing teams from the same division play against one another in the playoffs (until such a match-up becomes unavoidable). So projections from the other day that the Rams could play the 49ers and the N.F.C. entry based in TX could play the "Iggles" in the first round of the playoffs really get under my skin. Hopefully results from next weekend will change that but we'll see.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

BD Sullivan wrote:This is more on coaches, but turning preseason games into 60 minutes of boredom has turned what might be something worthwhile to watch into watch the first quarter and move onto other things. Making season-ticket holders pay full price for this trash is on the owners, with Goodell having the gall to act as if increasing the number of regular season games was addressing fan complaints.
I find it hard to blame coaches for wanting to see how rookies and borderline players do in real live action as opposed to practices.