PFRA Elections

JeffreyMiller

PFRA Elections

Post by JeffreyMiller »

A little over two weeks until the ballot submission deadline. Thus far, only four ballots have been received.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
racepug

Re: PFRA Elections

Post by racepug »

What are we supposed to base our preferences on?
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

racepug wrote:What are we supposed to base our preferences on?
That's a pretty fair question. I don't recall who was on the ballot for my first PFRA election or how I voted, but I recall that I didn't know many of the names on the ballot. I was a new member. So, when I attended my first PFRA meeting (we call it a convention now) I tried to meet as many members and officers as I could SPECIFICALLY so I would know better how to vote in the next election. That was my approach.

Since that time, I've been lucky enough to serve on the Board for a while. I feel I am at least conversant about things, even now, because I pay attention.

You might have a different way of doing things and that's your business, not mine. But in answer to your question in a very general way, I'd recommend getting to know other members through joining committees. Then you'll learn more about the PFRA and have something to base your preferences upon. Again, this is a very general answer aimed at nobody in particular.

Lee Elder
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

If you are a relatively new member (and I believe you are?), you haven't had much time to pick up on personalities within the association. I agree with Lee that joining committees, attending conventions and maybe corresponding with fellow members are good ways to get to know others. In WNY, we have been having chapter conferences for several years, and it has been a great way to get to know other members, many of whom come in from out of town. Not sure where you are from, but I strongly encourage members from common geographical regions to have occasional gatherings. I know the Detroit crew, led by the inimitable Randy Snow, just had a small get together and had a swell time. You could always take the lead and organize!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I just voted, but I can understand the low vote count. All four guys are running unopposed (well, there's this fella named Write In...) so the suspense is a little thin.
racepug

Post by racepug »

JeffreyMiller wrote:
If you are a relatively new member (and I believe you are?), you haven't had much time to pick up on personalities within the association. I agree with Lee that joining committees, attending conventions and maybe corresponding with fellow members are good ways to get to know others. In WNY, we have been having chapter conferences for several years, and it has been a great way to get to know other members, many of whom come in from out of town. Not sure where you are from, but I strongly encourage members from common geographical regions to have occasional gatherings. I know the Detroit crew, led by the inimitable Randy Snow, just had a small get together and had a swell time. You could always take the lead and organize!
Thanks, but though I went to this year's convention I'm not in a position to attend those every time (partly due to sheer geography and partly due to my financial situation).
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

RichardBak wrote:I just voted, but I can understand the low vote count. All four guys are running unopposed (well, there's this fella named Write In...) so the suspense is a little thin.
True dat. But just think of how interesting it would be if Write In were to win an office ...
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

JeffreyMiller wrote:
RichardBak wrote:I just voted, but I can understand the low vote count. All four guys are running unopposed (well, there's this fella named Write In...) so the suspense is a little thin.
True dat. But just think of how interesting it would be if Write In were to win an office ...
See: 2021 Buffalo mayor election. :lol:
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
JeffreyMiller wrote:
See: 2021 Buffalo mayor election. :lol:
What, did Elbert Dubenion win?
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

racepug wrote:
JeffreyMiller wrote:
Thanks, but though I went to this year's convention I'm not in a position to attend those every time (partly due to sheer geography and partly due to my financial situation).
Yeah, I know what that's like. I was lucky, this year's convention was a short distance from where I live. But you can still be a part of committees without traveling or expense. Just a suggestion.