False Start Non-Calls

Brian wolf

Re: False Start Non-Calls

Post by Brian wolf »

I disagree Citizen ...

To me, the shotgun or spread always tips off a pass and even if the QB hands off, it still looks awkward, unless the QB swings it off but ball handling is a lost art as well and going back from center, some QBs like Griese, Unitas, Fouts were excellent faking drop backs and going with draw plays. The Cowboys with Aikman and Norv Turner and before that Fouts with Zampese, were masters at running a lead draw play. Emmitt Smith and other backs would rack up yardage just from that one play ... Just dont see that kind of thing anymore with so much shotgun ...
GameBeforeTheMoney

Re: False Start Non-Calls

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

RichardBak wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:
Another rarity is QBs taking the ball from under center. Its shotgun formations constantly, though the QB still has to catch the pass from center, which is never guaranteed. I miss the days when Namath, Montana, Elway and others could drop back 7-10 yards easily ...
Me too. It was like watching Fred Astaire, in a way, the way some guys would gracefully drop back, scanning the field, and then hit his man. Unitas, of course, and others. Synchronized and graceful.

I just had a vision of Johnny U in the shotgun. Not saying he couldn't do it and do it well, but how weird. Of course, the 2021 Johnny U would be wearing tats and diamond studs and have golden locks flowing out of the back of his helmet.
Yeah, I really miss watching those dropbacks as well. And watching Bradshaw backpedal straight back. Some quarterbacks were as aggressive in their dropbacks as they were running forward.

Now, it's 3rd and 3 and they line up a team in shotgun formation. I also miss those well-run draws. And those surprise deep ball play-actions on 3rd and 1. I get that the game changes, but the old days under center are something that old-time fans can get easily sentimental about.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael