False Start Non-Calls

GameBeforeTheMoney

False Start Non-Calls

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Wondering if anyone else has noticed what I've seen in the past two seasons. I have seen offensive tackles take one step backwards just before the ball was snapped. It's a split second, but enough that it's noticeable. It caught a tackle doing it three times in the early game I saw today, and it wasn't called once. I won't say the game I was watching because I've seen this happen with several teams, so I don't want to single out just one team/one player. Last year was the first time I started noticing this and I'm wondering if I just haven't seen it all these years or if the officials have eased up a bit. Anybody else shake their heads a few times in the past couple of years thinking an offensive tackle took a step with their outside foot a smidge early?
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
RyanChristiansen

Re: False Start Non-Calls

Post by RyanChristiansen »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:Anybody else shake their heads a few times in the past couple of years thinking an offensive tackle took a step with their outside foot a smidge early?
I agree, but I was seeing this same thing live at the Minnesota-Nebraska game. It seems to me linemen are allowed to use more pre-snap movement nowadays to help with signals and the snap count, and I wonder if that just sort of clouds up the referee's judgment overall.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Offensive linemen have been getting away with movement for years. The Steelers use to be the worst of them. Anything to help out offenses ...
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Well, in some games you could call it almost every other play, but who wants to argue with a pissed-off 350-pound tackle??
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Well, I sure wouldn't want to get into an argument with one of those guys. I remember an altercation between a Browns lineman and an official after the official hit him with a flag in the face and that didn't end well if I remember right. Wouldn't want to be that ref. I'm sure plenty of you remember that incident.

Yeah, they might be doing it to help the offenses. College refs, they can miss a lot, I don't always expect so much from them. I grew up in a Big 10 town and there were a lot of fun jokes about Big 10 refs in the 80s. NFL refs usually catch obvious movement. Perhaps they just aren't calling it.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:Offensive linemen have been getting away with movement for years. The Steelers use to be the worst of them. Anything to help out offenses ...
For all the talk about how the N.F.L. is trying to hamstring defenses these days what about the fact that for decades the defense had all the advantages and still does, in some ways (e.g. defensive players being able to move around pretty much all they want to before the snap while offensive players seemingly aren't allowed to bat an eyelid w/o being called for "illegal motion"). I've never understood the imbalance between what the defense is allowed to get away with compared to what little the offense is allowed to do without being penalized.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Doesnt matter racepug ...

The offensive lineman should KNOW their snapcount and get off the ball in unison. It shouldnt matter what the defense does, theyre reacting anyway. If the defense is knowing the snapcount or cadence, the offense has to change it to draw them into the neutral zone. It used to be a defensive lineman could enter the zone and get back quickly if there wasnt contact but now, the referee will call it against the defense regardless. The games I watch, I rarely see offensive holding called anymore. No wonder QBs can enjoy their best sunday dresses ...

Another rarity is QBs taking the ball from under center. Its shotgun formations constantly, though the QB still has to catch the pass from center, which is never guaranteed. I miss the days when Namath, Montana, Elway and others could drop back 7-10 yards easily ...
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Brian wolf wrote:
Another rarity is QBs taking the ball from under center. Its shotgun formations constantly, though the QB still has to catch the pass from center, which is never guaranteed. I miss the days when Namath, Montana, Elway and others could drop back 7-10 yards easily ...
Me too. It was like watching Fred Astaire, in a way, the way some guys would gracefully drop back, scanning the field, and then hit his man. Unitas, of course, and others. Synchronized and graceful.

I just had a vision of Johnny U in the shotgun. Not saying he couldn't do it and do it well, but how weird. Of course, the 2021 Johnny U would be wearing tats and diamond studs and have golden locks flowing out of the back of his helmet.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Snapping from under center has been impractical for a while now. Not only can it tip off running plays, but also QBs now tend to be more adept at pre-snap reads. There are exceptions (Roethlisberger has been quite effective from under center), but I think most QBs prefer to have that broader view of the defense, not to mention not having to needlessly spend time setting up in the pocket.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Citizen wrote:Snapping from under center has been impractical for a while now. Not only can it tip off running plays, but also QBs now tend to be more adept at pre-snap reads. There are exceptions (Roethlisberger has been quite effective from under center), but I think most QBs prefer to have that broader view of the defense, not to mention not having to needlessly spend time setting up in the pocket.
You're absolutely right. From a QB's perspective, I can see the benefits. From a fan's perspective, it's been kinda sad to see this element of the game---the classic drop back passer---slowly disappear.