Tucker Sets New Field Goal Distance Record

JuggernautJ

Tucker Sets New Field Goal Distance Record

Post by JuggernautJ »

Justin Tucker today set a new record for the longest field goal in NFL History at 66 yards... two thirds of the field..

https://www.nfl.com/news/ravens-kicker- ... goal-lions

Will we see the record broken again?
What do you think is the longest possible field goal; the limits of human ability?
RichardBak

Re: Tucker Sets New Field Goal Distance Record

Post by RichardBak »

All of us here in Detroit had deja vu when Tucker lined up for that kick---51 years earlier, the situation was eerily the same when New Orleans's Tom Dempsey booted that last-second FG vs Lions. Same result, same score, same heartache: a record-setting FG on the final play resulting in 19-17 loss for the Lions, who seem to always find novel ways to lose.

Of course, unlike this season's edition of the Lions, the 1970 team was a competitive bunch, though they found another novel way to lose in the playoffs that season---a baseball-like 5-0 loss to the Cowboys.

It never ends when you're a Detroit fan.

I've often said that 60-yard FGs will one day become as commonplace as 50-yarders have become. Bert Rechichar's 56-yd FG from the 1950s seemed like the outer limits back then. Now, with specialization and technology and indoor stadiums, I predict we'll see a 70-yard FG by the end of this decade. Seems fanciful, but records in all sports are made to be broken---and they always are. Some just take more time than others.

I also predict that first 70-yd FG will be a game-winner against the Lions. Take that to the bank.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

OTOH there's a danger in attempting these extreme FGs. From USA Today's coverage of yesterday's Arizona-Jacksonville game:

A last-second field goal attempt that would have set an NFL record turned into a record-tying runback the other way on Sunday.

On the final play of the first half of the game between the Arizona Cardinals and Jacksonville Jaguars, Cards kicker — and former Detroit Lions Pro Bowler Matt Prater, who already holds the NFL record with a 64-yard field goal – came out to attempt a 68-yarder.

However, his kick fell just short and into the arms of Jaguars wide receiver Jamal Agnew, another former Lions Pro Bowler who was standing nine yards deep into the end zone. Agnew then returned the missed field goal all the way to the other end zone, a record-tying 109-yard return for a touchdown.

Agnew's return was just the third 109-yard touchdown in NFL history, tying Antonio Cromartie (interception return) and Cordarrelle Patterson (kickoff return) for the league record. It was Agnew's second touchdown return this season after he returned a kickoff 102 yards in last week's game against the Denver Broncos.

Note that USA Today credited Prater with holding the NFL record for longest boot---which he still did at that particular moment. Funny how fast records can fall. Just a matter of time before Prater or Tucker or someone else successfully kicks a 67-yarder...then a 68-yarder...and so on.

I think what has really changed over the last several seasons is the mentality that such attempts are actually makable. There's no way a kicker can kick a 66- or 68-yarder unless a coach lets him attempt one. Especially on the last play of a half. In the past it would be a Hail Mary or a kneel down.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The kick shouldnt have happened. A delay of game penalty should have been called beforehand ... Detroit was robbed.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

You're right---it was so damn obvious. The play clock was at zero for two whole seconds. But you know what? With the way things go with the Lions, if Balt was flagged Tucker would've just made a 71-yd FG. :D
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

The college record is 69 yards, so a 70-yarder is likely going to happen at some point. Super long field goals (or at least what we consider super long) might become a regular part of the game, including to the point that teams prepare to defend a run back of a miss.

Interesting to note -- Tucker went to high school with Nick Foles at the same high school that Drew Brees attended. So, the career passing yards record and the longest field goal record are both held by guys from the same high school. Someone mentioned how quickly records fall, both of those records could be broken next week.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:The kick shouldnt have happened. A delay of game penalty should have been called beforehand ... Detroit was robbed.
There's a video on YouTube "Lions screwed by refs." Unfortunately for Detroit, their team is used to getting jobbed on the field (I still remember them getting jobbed in that playoff loss to the N.F.C. entry based in TX a few years ago. . .and then, of course, that TX team had the absolute NERVE to complain about getting jobbed a week later in G.B. on the Dez Bryant "catch/no catch" call. What goes around comes around!).
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

racepug wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:The kick shouldnt have happened. A delay of game penalty should have been called beforehand ... Detroit was robbed.
There's a video on YouTube "Lions screwed by refs." Unfortunately for Detroit, their team is used to getting jobbed on the field (I still remember them getting jobbed in that playoff loss to the N.F.C. entry based in TX a few years ago. . .and then, of course, that TX team had the absolute NERVE to complain about getting jobbed a week later in G.B. on the Dez Bryant "catch/no catch" call. What goes around comes around!).
Somewhere, Bobby Layne smiles and says, "I told you this was going to happen!"
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
racepug

Post by racepug »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:Somewhere, Bobby Layne smiles and says, "I told you this was going to happen!"
That "curse" was supposed to last a half-century. It's been more like 65 years, now!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Just shows how crazy I am. I wanted to buy a cool Bobby Layne Lions jersey on ebbetts.com but rather than having a jersey from his championship years, the jersey is a replica of his 1958 Lions team, before he is traded, as the team falls on its arse ... No way I am buying a jersey from the year he curses the team ... haha