Charlie O'Rourke- Jack M Silverstein question

JohnTurney

Charlie O'Rourke- Jack M Silverstein question

Post by JohnTurney »

I anyone knows let me know and will pass it along giving your name as credit

Got this letter----------

Hi John! Short question for you sir.

Was there some sort of technicality in 1942 that would have meant a player was not categorized as a rookie despite it being his first season in the NFL?

The reason:

There is disagreement as to the Bears rookie passing TD record. Charlie O'Rourke threw for 11 in 1942, but the Bears media guide credits McMahon and Orton with nine.

The Bears drafted O'Rourke for the '41 season but he did not play until '42, and a Bears spokesperson told me that they were wondering if perhaps O'Rourke was on the team's practice squad in '41. I said I could not find evidence as such, and in fact only found evidence that he was out of football in '41, coaching HS ball in New York.

The Bears do credit O'Rourke on this post with "a franchise rookie record" of 11 TDs, but their media guide and PR spox has McMahon and Orton. The Bears told me they are "looking into it."

I am working on a story on this. Happy to source you with your answer. Thank you as always for your time!

Best,
Jack

This was my answer, I ust think it was a mistake and no one caught it---but could be wrong

I will post this at the PFRA forum--
But I know of no rule that would exclude thim from being a rookiein 1942.
In fact, for a time; it was the opposite. In 1973 Lawrence McCutcheonwas considered a rookie and got OROY votes
There was a rule there that he was still a rookie because he only performed on special teams in 1972
They closed that loophole shortly thereafter

My best guess is that it's simply an error back in the day and it was never corrected. That happens some in old media guides and it takes someone pointing out to get it changed
I will let you know if someone has a better answer
RRMarshall

Re: Charlie O'Rourke- Jack M Silverstein question

Post by RRMarshall »

I believe you are correct John. I researched Chuckin' Charlie's career many years ago and I don't see any reason why he would not
have rookie status in 1942. It looks like the Bears just fumbled the ball, so to speak :)
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Did teams have practice squads before Paul Brown? Didn't he come up with the taxi squad idea? That's what I always read.

Perhaps they simply printed the modern, 1950 and later record in the media guide? Not outside the realm of possibility.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:Did teams have practice squads before Paul Brown? Didn't he come up with the taxi squad idea? That's what I always read.

Perhaps they simply printed the modern, 1950 and later record in the media guide? Not outside the realm of possibility.
I really don't know the answer===maybe he had some sort of injury, military service, or just wanted to work for a year