2021 Week 1 surprises

racepug

2021 Week 1 surprises

Post by racepug »

N.F.L. surprises Week 1, 2021 (in no particular order): 1) AZ over TEN. 2) Green Bay's faceplant against "Nawlins." 3) Cleveland giving K.C. all it could handle (and almost more). 4) PIT over BUF. 5) Las Vegas over BAL (go Raiders!) 6) BAL in last place in the A.F.C. North. 7) Philly in FIRST place in the N.F.C. East. Any others?
Bryan

Re: 2021 Week 1 surprises

Post by Bryan »

It seemed like a lot of established players switched their jersey numbers to a single-digit number. Very confusing. I thought I was watching 1987 replacement games.

FURTHER RANT: It was even worse in college, where so many teams are changing their uniform colors that you can't even tell who is who. It took me 5 minutes to figure out the Iowa-Iowa State game, because one team wore black/gold and the other team wore black/white. The Navy/AF game was equally icky.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Bryan wrote:It seemed like a lot of established players switched their jersey numbers to a single-digit number. Very confusing. I thought I was watching 1987 replacement games.
I looked that up just yesterday to find out "Why?" Something to do with COVID and increased practice squad sizes, believe it or not (it was originally brought to the league by the Chiefs).
Bryan wrote:FURTHER RANT: It was even worse in college, where so many teams are changing their uniform colors that you can't even tell who is who. It took me 5 minutes to figure out the Iowa-Iowa State game, because one team wore black/gold and the other team wore black/white. The Navy/AF game was equally icky.
I'm kinda "old school" that way. I like for teams to stick with their actual school colors. Which is part of why teams like Oregon's drive me nuts (and NOT in a good way).
racepug

Post by racepug »

One more: Derrick Henry being held in check by the Cardinals. The Cardinals, of all teams!
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I thought Jameis Winston's 5 TD game was a surprise. Will he be able to keep it up? Especially the no interceptions part.
single wing

Post by single wing »

I don't think Arizona over Tennessee was a big surprise at all. I am in a pick the winner season long contest. The majority of our 27 members picked Arizona over Tennessee including me.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The Titan loss wasnt a surprise because the Cards had a good offense last year. They just ran out of gas when it counted down the stretch. The Titan defense was terrible last year and is completely rebuilt. Will take awhile to jell. Lewan and Tannehill had bad games but covid protocols affected Tannehill more than people realize.

The Packers getting routed was a surprise. The Texans needed a win after being maligned all summer ...
racepug

Post by racepug »

single wing wrote:I don't think Arizona over Tennessee was a big surprise at all. I am in a pick the winner season long contest. The majority of our 27 members picked Arizona over Tennessee including me.
As someone who's been watching the N.F.L. for over 40 years and who now knows something about N.F.L. history, I'm surprised just about anytime the Cardinals win.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I am a Cowboys fan and I was pleasantly surprised they weren't wiped up by the Bucs. Hopefully they will have a better season than last year.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I am a Raiders fan and I cracked a smile when I saw they won in OT. That's it folks. All you're getting in week 1.