Is this an NFL first?

vikingsfan1963

Is this an NFL first?

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

Where every team has a bye week between the exhibition and regular seasons? When did the NFL last open on Labor Day weekend? As I recall, the TV ratings were really down when that happened.
racepug

Re: Is this an NFL first?

Post by racepug »

It's been like that for a while, hasn't it? I remember when the NFL started its season during Labor Day Weekend but at some point I guess they figured it was better to start one week later ($$$ never far from the minds of those in business, of course).
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

To me it made perfect sense for the NFL to open up on Labor Day. You could cut loose with a full day of football on Sunday and not worry about having to get up early on Monday for work. Though I can understand the ratings issue as a good chunk of Americans were on their last Summer jaunt somewhere and that could depress ratings.

I would prefer Week 1 this coming Sunday and if we're doing a 17 games season...and also 2 bye weeks. Perhaps I'm in the minority on this but I feel it would be better for the health of the players and the quality of games to go to a permanent 2 bye weeks if we're sticking with 17 games
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

sheajets wrote:To me it made perfect sense for the NFL to open up on Labor Day. You could cut loose with a full day of football on Sunday and not worry about having to get up early on Monday for work. Though I can understand the ratings issue as a good chunk of Americans were on their last Summer jaunt somewhere and that could depress ratings.

I would prefer Week 1 this coming Sunday and if we're doing a 17 games season...and also 2 bye weeks. Perhaps I'm in the minority on this but I feel it would be better for the health of the players and the quality of games to go to a permanent 2 bye weeks if we're sticking with 17 games
I believe the last NFL season to start pre-Labor Day was 2000. I agree. I also have no problem at all with the NFL starting on Labor Day weekend! Especially now that there's a 17-game season for each team. I'd rather it not be 17 games! Keep it at 16 games, and 4 in the pre-season. Super Bowl being first Sunday in February has already been more than far-enough in. And 7 playoff teams per-conf now far out-of-hand! But if there must be a 17-game season, then two bye-weeks it should be. They're annoying for the fan, but I'm not the one actually playing all those games.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

It seems a given that the 17 game season is a stepping stone to an 18 game season.
Then, I believe, we'll see 2 bye weeks.

It is sad to think of the many records that will be effected by these changes.
Season highs will fall by the wayside (with one or two extra games) to new players and the possibility of an undefeated season becomes even more remote...
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

JuggernautJ wrote:It seems a given that the 17 game season is a stepping stone to an 18 game season.

Season highs will fall by the wayside (with one or two extra games) to new players and the possibility of an undefeated season becomes even more remote...
There was at least a season in the early 90s when there were two bye weeks IIRC.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Teo wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:It seems a given that the 17 game season is a stepping stone to an 18 game season.

There was at least a season in the early 90s when there were two bye weeks IIRC.
That was 1993.

I couldn't remember when the NFL started playing the week after Labor Day, but I do remember that 1997 was the only NFL season that began in August. August 31st, 1997. That was the day Princess Diana died (in European time.) I still remember staying glued to CNN looking for updates, even though I was going to the Bills game the next day.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Teo wrote:

I always think back to that year and think of it like the Year of Three Kings...Year of Three Popes.

The Year of Two Byes

Plus it was the year before those huge rule changes that really opened up offenses in 1994