Jimmy Johnson's comments about the '92 Cowboys and 49ers

7DnBrnc53

Re: Jimmy Johnson's comments about the '92 Cowboys and 49ers

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I preferred Bubby Brister, who even though he wasn't any good, he would at least make some big plays and the offense would score. Brister didn't have great numbers in the 89 playoffs, but he made some plays and the Steelers pulled off a huge upset and nearly pulled off another one a week later. Compare that to O'Donnell, who could throw 50+ times and produce 13 points.
On SB Nation (Behind the Steel Curtain), there are Steeler fans who think that Brister should have started that 92 divisional round game against Buffalo, not O'Donnell (I think that Neil missed the last game or two of the season with an injury).
My very first impression of Pat Haden was that he was an elite QB. A book I ordered from the book club, I believe, in 4th or 5th grade. It had Bert Jones on the cover. It was chapters on different QBs including, of course, Bert. Also included were Craig Morton, JIm Plunkett, and also Pat Haden whom I specifically remember reading about he competing with Harris and a young Jaws and also being a Rhodes Scholar.

Simply from the vibes I got from football fans in-general (and yes I was quite young at the time), it seemed he was regarded well enough/popular. Perhaps it was his star-status from USC that carried over into the NFL - and here he was now playing for the Rams. I do know he was injured quite a bit but not before having his moments pre-Ferragamo. Not being asked to do too much, he could have potentially been a Bob Griese-type. Going to the UK, I guess, did hurt his draft status also.
Take this for what it's worth, but the reason that Haden may have been playing had to do with Ram owner Carroll Rosenbloom. Allegedly (something I saw on You Tube), Rosenbloom didn't like Shack Harris and Jaworski, calling them a n-word and a dumb Pollock.