CFL opens tonight

vikingsfan1963

CFL opens tonight

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

After missing 2020, the CFL returned to action tonight (Aug. 5). I remember becoming fascinated by this league while growing up in the 70s and reading about it in the back of NFL preview magazines (Street & Smiths and another whose title I can't recall). It seemed like in the 70s 1 or 2 US players would end up playing there. Joe Theismann, Johnny Rodgers, Johnny Musso, Tom Clements, Conredge Holloway, David Overstreet and of course Warren Moon plus Anthony Davis (after a year in the WFL) and Terry Metcalf (after some time with the Cardinals). And who can possibly forget the Montreal Alouettes disaster of Vince Ferragamo, White Shoes Johnson and James Scott? Can someone come up wit the title of that other magazine that had CFL info in it?
RichardBak

Re: CFL opens tonight

Post by RichardBak »

Wasn't that magazine called Petersen's? Seems like I saw them during the '70s. But I'm not sure it had the CFL in it.
vikingsfan1963

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

Yes, I believe that's the name. Had almost a cardboard like cover. Durable.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I think Adrian Peterson's grandma published Petersen's out of her basement. She never could spell.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

In Street&Smith's wrote Rick Matsumoto of the Toronto Star. What I always liked about the 80s magazines were the quantity and quality of the black and white pictures of the players, especially of the CFL. The Ottawa Rough Riders helmet looked especially cool.
single wing

Post by single wing »

I remember when the CFL would play a preseason game against a NFL team. One game each year.